Mailing List Archive

Cryptic software announcements (was: ANN: DIPY 1.6.0)
[.This isn't specifically about DIPY, I've noticed the same thing in
other announcements]

On 2023-02-28 13:48:56 -0500, Eleftherios Garyfallidis wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> We are excited to announce a new release of DIPY: DIPY 1.6.0 is out from
> the oven!

That's nice, but what is DIPY?

> In addition, registration for the oceanic DIPY workshop 2023 (April 24-28)
> is now open! Our comprehensive program is designed to equip you with the
> skills and knowledge needed to master the latest techniques and tools in
> structural and diffusion imaging.

Ok, so since the workshop is about ".., tools in structural and
diffusion imaging", DIPY is probably such a tool.

However, without this incidental announcement I wouldn't have any idea
what it is or if it would be worth my time clicking at any of the links.

I think it would be a good idea if software announcements would include
a single paragraph (or maybe just a single sentence) summarizing what
the software is and does.

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | Story must make more sense than reality.
|_|_) | |
__/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | challenge!"
Re: Cryptic software announcements (was: ANN: DIPY 1.6.0) [ In reply to ]
On 01/03/2023 00:13, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> [.This isn't specifically about DIPY, I've noticed the same thing in
> other announcements]
>
> On 2023-02-28 13:48:56 -0500, Eleftherios Garyfallidis wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>

>> We are excited to announce a new release of DIPY: DIPY 1.6.0 is out from
>> the oven!
> That's nice, but what is DIPY?
>

>> In addition, registration for the oceanic DIPY workshop 2023 (April 24-28)
>> is now open! Our comprehensive program is designed to equip you with the
>> skills and knowledge needed to master the latest techniques and tools in
>> structural and diffusion imaging.
> Ok, so since the workshop is about ".., tools in structural and
> diffusion imaging", DIPY is probably such a tool.
>
> However, without this incidental announcement I wouldn't have any idea
> what it is or if it would be worth my time clicking at any of the links.
>

> I think it would be a good idea if software announcements would include
> a single paragraph (or maybe just a single sentence) summarizing what
> the software is and does.
>
> hp

+1
Rob Cliffe
Re: Cryptic software announcements (was: ANN: DIPY 1.6.0) [ In reply to ]
On 3/1/23 04:57, Rob Cliffe via Python-list wrote:

>> I think it would be a good idea if software announcements would include
>> a single paragraph (or maybe just a single sentence) summarizing what
>> the software is and does.
>>
>>          hp
>>

> +1
> Rob Cliffe

Excellent adivce - and many of the announcements on the separate
python-announce list do actually follow this model (and this is probably
actually the right place to send announcements).

I'd even extend the suggestion further - it's surprising how many
newcomers ask questions about a particular package that many people have
not heard of - it all seems so obvious when you have an assignment, but
when there are over 400,000 packages on PyPI it should actually not be
surprising that a few of us have not actually heard of all of them :-)
Maybe give a bit more context...