Mailing List Archive

Re: putting JUNK at the end of a [.py] file
On 2/23/2023 7:21 PM, Hen Hanna wrote:

> in a LaTeX file, after the (1st) \end{document} line,
> i can put any random Junk i want (afterwards) until the end of the file.
>

> Is there a similar Method for a .py file ?
>
> Since i know of no such trick, i sometimes put this (below) at the end of a .py file.
>

> dummy= (""" junk and more junk
> words in Dict
> 239 words in Dict
> ((( notes or Code fragmetns )))
> """ )
>

> ** maybe i don't need the dummy= but it looks better.

You can just put it in triple quotes, no need to assign the string to a
variable. Or make each line a comment.

Re: putting JUNK at the end of a [.py] file [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, February 23, 2023 at 9:17:05?PM UTC-8, Thomas Passin wrote:
> On 2/23/2023 7:21 PM, Hen Hanna wrote:
> >
> > in a LaTeX file, after the (1st) \end{document} line,
> > i can put any random Junk i want (afterwards) until the end of the file.
> >

> > Is there a similar Method for a .py file ?
> >
> > Since i know of no such trick, i sometimes put this (below) at the end of a .py file.
> >

> > dummy= (""" junk and more junk
> > words in Dict
> > 239 words in Dict
> > ((( notes or Code fragmetns )))
> > """)
> >

> > ** maybe i don't need the dummy= but it looks better.

> You can just put it in triple quotes, no need to assign the string to a
> variable. Or make each line a comment.

thanks for the rare concise comment taht also seems devoid of insulting attitude.

( i still can't tell one person from another, but
i did notice that one person sent me email
that was really long, insulting, and creepy )

i guess i use (""" """) because i wish it (this feature) came in matching pairs.

and put dummy= to remind myself and to tell the compiler, obivously this Var is unused to feel free to ignore it.
Re: putting JUNK at the end of a [.py] file [ In reply to ]
On 2/23/23 22:16, Thomas Passin wrote:
> On 2/23/2023 7:21 PM, Hen Hanna wrote:
>>
>> in a LaTeX file,       after the (1st)       \end{document}     line,
>>        i can put any random Junk i want    (afterwards)   until the
>> end of the file.
>>

>> Is there a similar Method  for a    .py     file ?
>>
>> Since i know of no such trick,  i sometimes put this (below) at the
>> end of a .py file.
>>

>> dummy= ("""              junk and more junk
>>                                        words in Dict
>>                              239  words in Dict
>>                      (((  notes or Code fragmetns  )))
>>               """ )
>>

>> **    maybe i don't need the     dummy=     but it looks better.
>
> You can just put it in triple quotes, no need to assign the string to a
> variable.  Or make each line a comment.

Indeed, I work on a project that by convention puts editor instructions
at the end of each file (which some might consider junk :-) ), like this:

# Local Variables:
# tab-width:4
# indent-tabs-mode:nil
# End:
# vim: set expandtab tabstop=4 shiftwidth=4:

Re: putting JUNK at the end of a [.py] file [ In reply to ]
On 2/24/23 08:27, Mats Wichmann wrote:

> Indeed, I work on a project that by convention puts editor instructions
> at the end of each file (which some might consider junk :-) ), like this:
>

> # Local Variables:
> # tab-width:4
> # indent-tabs-mode:nil
> # End:
> # vim: set expandtab tabstop=4 shiftwidth=4:

I should probably have added that I know the above is unnecessary, as
there is now a standard for defining this stuff once, called
EditorConfig, which many editors understand natively, and many more via
plugins.

https://editorconfig.org/

Re: putting JUNK at the end of a [.py] file [ In reply to ]
On 2/24/2023 12:37 AM, Hen Hanna wrote:
> On Thursday, February 23, 2023 at 9:17:05?PM UTC-8, Thomas Passin wrote:
>> On 2/23/2023 7:21 PM, Hen Hanna wrote:
>>>
>>> in a LaTeX file, after the (1st) \end{document} line,
>>> i can put any random Junk i want (afterwards) until the end of the file.
>>>

>>> Is there a similar Method for a .py file ?
>>>
>>> Since i know of no such trick, i sometimes put this (below) at the end of a .py file.
>>>

>>> dummy= (""" junk and more junk
>>> words in Dict
>>> 239 words in Dict
>>> ((( notes or Code fragmetns )))
>>> """)
>>>

>>> ** maybe i don't need the dummy= but it looks better.
>

>> You can just put it in triple quotes, no need to assign the string to a
>> variable. Or make each line a comment.
>

> thanks for the rare concise comment taht also seems devoid of insulting attitude.
>
> ( i still can't tell one person from another, but
> i did notice that one person sent me email
> that was really long, insulting, and creepy )
>

> i guess i use (""" """) because i wish it (this feature) came in matching pairs.
>
> and put dummy= to remind myself and to tell the compiler, obivously this Var is unused to feel free to ignore it.

The bare string will be evaluated but not assigned to any variable name.
You don't need to tell the compiler anything. As an example, here is a
tiny program that runs:

"""A little test program to verify that a floating string is OK."""

MSG = 'this is a test'
print(MSG)

"""This is a free-floating message
that is just a note to myself.