so i try to hit [<-] to erase [rich]
but i can't... the [text entering] box is frozen.

so i give up and go to Google.
Re: Python + Vim editor [ In reply to ]
On 2/21/2023 9:00 PM, Hen Hanna wrote:

> what editor do you (all) use to write Python code? (i use Vim)

I usually use the Leo-editor (https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor
or PyPi). It's wonderful once you get it figured out but it's got a
real learning curve.

Re: Python + Vim editor [ In reply to ]
Vim 2% of the time, PyCharm (with VI plugin) 98% of the time.

From: Python-list <python-list-bounces+gweatherby=uchc.edu@python.org> on behalf of Hen Hanna <henhanna@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 9:38 PM
To: python-list@python.org <python-list@python.org>
Subject: Python + Vim editor
*** Attention: This is an external email. Use caution responding, opening attachments or clicking on links. ***

what editor do you (all) use to write Python code? (i use Vim)

yesterday (?) i started noticing this with Bing search ....
e.g. i type [synonym rich] whch gives several synonyms,
and so (next) i try to replace [rich] by
something like Affluent

--
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list__;!!Cn_UX_p3!jN9E2ZVh45QRBtJ1BgpTjJlghI54aPL2rcB7dlPx1IFw6h8P3vQXgVcNA0rjIEAt0WIg_9oMc7OLfSbcnoU$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list__;!!Cn_UX_p3!jN9E2ZVh45QRBtJ1BgpTjJlghI54aPL2rcB7dlPx1IFw6h8P3vQXgVcNA0rjIEAt0WIg_9oMc7OLfSbcnoU$>
Re: Python + Vim editor [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 21 Feb 2023 18:00:20 -0800 (PST), Hen Hanna wrote:

> what editor do you (all) use to write Python code? (i use Vim)

I've used vim (gvim to be precise) for years and that has been my editor
of choice for Python. Lately I've been using Spyder.

As background, most of my Python work is with Esri's ArcPy. Until recently
it was 2.7 but they've moved to 3 and package it with conda. The package
manager is integrated into ArcGIS Pro, the desktop tool for managing GIS
data and Spyder is a relatively easy install into a virtual environment.

I won't discuss the conda system or Spyder but I can either go with the
flow or spend a lot of time fighting it.

Re: Python + Vim editor [ In reply to ]
Thomas Passin <list1@tompassin.net> writes:

> On 2/21/2023 9:00 PM, Hen Hanna wrote:
>> what editor do you (all) use to write Python code? (i use Vim)
>
> I usually use the Leo-editor (https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor
> or PyPi). It's wonderful once you get it figured out but it's got a
> real learning curve.

I had never heard of Leo before. This is a real rabbit-hole. Thanks for
sharing this interesting editor.
Re: Python + Vim editor [ In reply to ]
On 2/22/2023 12:00 AM, orzodk wrote:
> Thomas Passin <list1@tompassin.net> writes:
>
>> On 2/21/2023 9:00 PM, Hen Hanna wrote:
>>> what editor do you (all) use to write Python code? (i use Vim)
>>
>> I usually use the Leo-editor (https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor
>> or PyPi). It's wonderful once you get it figured out but it's got a
>> real learning curve.
>
> I had never heard of Leo before. This is a real rabbit-hole. Thanks for
> sharing this interesting editor.

There's also a Google Group: https://groups.google.com/g/leo-editor

Leo does dog-fooding: Leo's own code base (hundreds of Python files) is
contained and developed in a Leo file (called an "outline"). I just
this afternoon searched it to find where a particular core method is
called in less than a second (two places, it turned out). Leo lets you
break down a program or other chunk of code into whatever pieces you
like, not being limited to modules, classes, methods, and functions, and
to rearrange them pretty much at will.

Much of Leo's documentation is in Sphinx documents that are authored and
managed in Leo outlines - it's an excellent documentation tool.

More of how I use it is at
https://leo-editor.github.io/leo-editor/testimonials.html#thomas-passin

Re: Python + Vim editor [ In reply to ]
On 2023-02-22, Hen Hanna <henhanna@gmail.com> wrote:

> what editor do you (all) use to write Python code? (i use Vim)

For short editin I also use Vim and Pycharm IDE for bigger projects.

Re: Python + Vim editor [ In reply to ]
Thomas Passin <list1@tompassin.net> writes:

> On 2/22/2023 12:00 AM, orzodk wrote:
>> Thomas Passin <list1@tompassin.net> writes:

>>> I usually use the Leo-editor (https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor
>>> or PyPi). It's wonderful once you get it figured out but it's got a
>>> real learning curve.
>> I had never heard of Leo before. This is a real rabbit-hole. Thanks
>> for
>> sharing this interesting editor.
>
> There's also a Google Group: https://groups.google.com/g/leo-editor
>
> Leo does dog-fooding: Leo's own code base (hundreds of Python files)
> is contained and developed in a Leo file (called an "outline"). I
> just this afternoon searched it to find where a particular core method
> is called in less than a second (two places, it turned out). Leo lets
> you break down a program or other chunk of code into whatever pieces
> you like, not being limited to modules, classes, methods, and
> functions, and to rearrange them pretty much at will.
>
> Much of Leo's documentation is in Sphinx documents that are authored
> and managed in Leo outlines - it's an excellent documentation tool.
>
> More of how I use it is at
> https://leo-editor.github.io/leo-editor/testimonials.html#thomas-passin

I watched a couple of the intro videos and saw the dog-fooding. Leo is a
total paradigm shift for me. Thanks for links, I'll be sure to check
them out.
Re: Python + Vim editor [ In reply to ]
On 2/22/2023 1:45 PM, orzodk wrote:
> Thomas Passin <list1@tompassin.net> writes:

>>> I had never heard of Leo before. This is a real rabbit-hole. Thanks
>>> for
>>> sharing this interesting editor.
>>
>> There's also a Google Group: https://groups.google.com/g/leo-editor
>>
>> Leo does dog-fooding: Leo's own code base (hundreds of Python files)
>> is contained and developed in a Leo file (called an "outline"). I
>> just this afternoon searched it to find where a particular core method
>> is called in less than a second (two places, it turned out). Leo lets
>> you break down a program or other chunk of code into whatever pieces
>> you like, not being limited to modules, classes, methods, and
>> functions, and to rearrange them pretty much at will.
>>
>> Much of Leo's documentation is in Sphinx documents that are authored
>> and managed in Leo outlines - it's an excellent documentation tool.
>>
>> More of how I use it is at
>> https://leo-editor.github.io/leo-editor/testimonials.html#thomas-passin
>
> I watched a couple of the intro videos and saw the dog-fooding. Leo is a
> total paradigm shift for me. Thanks for links, I'll be sure to check
> them out.

Good luck! Please contact me or the Google Group if you need help or
guidance.

Re: Python + Vim editor [ In reply to ]
On 2/22/23 11:16, Tramiv wrote:
> On 2023-02-22, Hen Hanna <henhanna@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> what editor do you (all) use to write Python code? (i use Vim)
>>

> For short editin I also use Vim and Pycharm IDE for bigger projects.

The community has submitted some answers to that question here (two
lists, some entrants don't fit neatly into one or the other):

https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors
https://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments

There are a *lot* if you want to rathole... :)

Re: Python + Vim editor [ In reply to ]
On 21Feb2023 18:00, Hen Hanna <henhanna@gmail.com> wrote:
>what editor do you (all) use to write Python code? (i use Vim)

vim