Mailing List Archive

Changing the original SQLite version to the latest
Greetings.

I have tried both Cygwin and SQLite support, and I have received very
little ideas from them, so I am trying this to see if anyone has dealt
with such a problem before.

If I use Cygwin setup tool and install python39 and thus,

$ python
Python 3.9.10 (main, Jan 20 2022, 21:37:52) [GCC 11.2.0] on cygwin
>>> import sqlite3
>>> sqlite3.sqlite_version
'3.34.0'

As you can see, the SQlite3 version installed is v3.34.0. Right now,
the version available is 3.40.1. What I would like to do is to work
with the latest SQLite version. I have 4 Cygwin instances, 2 of them
are working ok, 2 are not. This is what I have done to get python to
use 3.41.0:
- downloaded the latest SQlite check-in from the site
- $ tar -xvf SQLite-44200596.tar.gz
- cd to SQLite-44200596
- $ ./configure --prefix=/usr
- $ make install

These steps above have worked on two PCs, but I don't know what is the
difference that makes the other two work, and the other two not work.
I have started a few instances of Cygwin on the PC that is not
working, and I have been trying for a few days, and I am humbling
myself, and asking for help. So, the request is to get python3 to
change the SQLite3 library from 3.34.0 to 3.41.0. Any help would be
greatly appreciated. Since this is Windows 10, it's probably some
SQLite DLL somewhere that is being pulled instead of the one
installed. Perhaps some of you can provide a few suggestions to see
where I can find a solution. I know the next step is to compile
python, but, I rather try to find how to fix this and get to the
bottom of it. Thanks, thanks and thanks.

josé

--

What if eternity is real? Hmmmm...
Re: Changing the original SQLite version to the latest [ In reply to ]
On 2/14/2023 3:30 PM, jose isaias cabrera wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I have tried both Cygwin and SQLite support, and I have received very
> little ideas from them, so I am trying this to see if anyone has dealt
> with such a problem before.
>
> If I use Cygwin setup tool and install python39 and thus,
>
> $ python
> Python 3.9.10 (main, Jan 20 2022, 21:37:52) [GCC 11.2.0] on cygwin
> '3.34.0'
>>>>

> As you can see, the SQlite3 version installed is v3.34.0. Right now,
> the version available is 3.40.1. What I would like to do is to work
> with the latest SQLite version. I have 4 Cygwin instances, 2 of them
> are working ok, 2 are not. This is what I have done to get python to
> use 3.41.0:
> - downloaded the latest SQlite check-in from the site
> - $ tar -xvf SQLite-44200596.tar.gz
> - cd to SQLite-44200596
> - $ ./configure --prefix=/usr
> - $ make install
>
> These steps above have worked on two PCs, but I don't know what is the
> difference that makes the other two work, and the other two not work.
> I have started a few instances of Cygwin on the PC that is not
> working, and I have been trying for a few days, and I am humbling
> myself, and asking for help. So, the request is to get python3 to
> change the SQLite3 library from 3.34.0 to 3.41.0. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated. Since this is Windows 10, it's probably some
> SQLite DLL somewhere that is being pulled instead of the one
> installed. Perhaps some of you can provide a few suggestions to see
> where I can find a solution. I know the next step is to compile
> python, but, I rather try to find how to fix this and get to the
> bottom of it. Thanks, thanks and thanks.

As a point of reference, the Python installation I've got on my Windows
box (not a cygwin install) is

Python 3.10.9 (tags/v3.10.9:1dd9be6, Dec 6 2022, 20:01:21) [MSC v.1934
64 bit (AMD64)] on win32

and the sqlite_version is 3.39.4

Re: Changing the original SQLite version to the latest [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 8:55 PM Thomas Passin <list1@tompassin.net> wrote:

> As a point of reference, the Python installation I've got on my Windows
> box (not a cygwin install) is
>
> Python 3.10.9 (tags/v3.10.9:1dd9be6, Dec 6 2022, 20:01:21) [MSC v.1934
> 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
>
> and the sqlite_version is 3.39.4

Thanks, previous to v3.40.1, the released version was v.3.39.4. I wish
it was that one that one. :-)

--

What if eternity is real? Hmmmm...
Re: Changing the original SQLite version to the latest [ In reply to ]
On 2/14/2023 9:29 PM, jose isaias cabrera wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 8:55 PM Thomas Passin <list1@tompassin.net> wrote:
>>
>> As a point of reference, the Python installation I've got on my Windows
>> box (not a cygwin install) is
>>
>> Python 3.10.9 (tags/v3.10.9:1dd9be6, Dec 6 2022, 20:01:21) [MSC v.1934
>> 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
>>
>> and the sqlite_version is 3.39.4
>
> Thanks, previous to v3.40.1, the released version was v.3.39.4. I wish
> it was that one that one. :-)

I haven't tried it but this may help:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61091438/how-to-upgrade-sqlite3-version-in-windows-10

"Download the latest release from http://www.sqlite.org/download.html
and manually copy sqlite3.dll into Python's DLLs subfolder."

Not sure how you using cygwin might affect this.
Re: Changing the original SQLite version to the latest [ In reply to ]
On 2023-02-15 5:59 AM, Thomas Passin wrote:

> "Download the latest release from http://www.sqlite.org/download.html
> and manually copy sqlite3.dll into Python's DLLs subfolder."

I have done exactly this a number of times and it has worked for me.

Frank Millman

Re: Changing the original SQLite version to the latest [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 8:55 PM Thomas Passin <list1@tompassin.net> wrote:

> On 2/14/2023 3:30 PM, jose isaias cabrera wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > I have tried both Cygwin and SQLite support, and I have received very
> > little ideas from them, so I am trying this to see if anyone has dealt
> > with such a problem before.
> >
> > If I use Cygwin setup tool and install python39 and thus,
> >
> > $ python
> > Python 3.9.10 (main, Jan 20 2022, 21:37:52) [GCC 11.2.0] on cygwin
> > '3.34.0'
> >>>>

> > As you can see, the SQlite3 version installed is v3.34.0. Right now,
> > the version available is 3.40.1. What I would like to do is to work
> > with the latest SQLite version. I have 4 Cygwin instances, 2 of them
> > are working ok, 2 are not. This is what I have done to get python to
> > use 3.41.0:
> > - downloaded the latest SQlite check-in from the site
> > - $ tar -xvf SQLite-44200596.tar.gz
> > - cd to SQLite-44200596
> > - $ ./configure --prefix=/usr
> > - $ make install
> >
> > These steps above have worked on two PCs, but I don't know what is the
> > difference that makes the other two work, and the other two not work.
> > I have started a few instances of Cygwin on the PC that is not
> > working, and I have been trying for a few days, and I am humbling
> > myself, and asking for help. So, the request is to get python3 to
> > change the SQLite3 library from 3.34.0 to 3.41.0. Any help would be
> > greatly appreciated. Since this is Windows 10, it's probably some
> > SQLite DLL somewhere that is being pulled instead of the one
> > installed. Perhaps some of you can provide a few suggestions to see
> > where I can find a solution. I know the next step is to compile
> > python, but, I rather try to find how to fix this and get to the
> > bottom of it. Thanks, thanks and thanks.
>
> As a point of reference, the Python installation I've got on my Windows
> box (not a cygwin install) is
>
> Python 3.10.9 (tags/v3.10.9:1dd9be6, Dec 6 2022, 20:01:21) [MSC v.1934
> 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
>
> and the sqlite_version is 3.39.4

In case anyone needs the answer, These steps worked for me:

In case anyone needs the answer, what worked for me was:
-- Downloaded the Pre-release Snapshots
$ wget https://sqlite.org/snapshot/sqlite-snapshot-202302131932.tar.gz
-- untared the snapshot
$ tar xvf sqlite-snapshot-202302131932.tar.gz
-- cd to the untared directory
$ cd sqlite-snapshot-202302131932
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
$ make install

And this process has set the python SQLite version to the
sqlite-snapshot version. After that, you can download the trunk and
follow the same procedure, and the version of the trunk will be
changed also.

$ ./SQLiteVersion.py
3.41.0
['/usr/lib/python3.9/sqlite3']
3.41.0
2023-02-13 19:32:40
ecdeef43b27412b0b0b09e09a62ad3a03836a3fc80f2070268090e7ca8f02712

I hope this helps.

This script may be useful...
$ cat SQLiteVersion.py
#!/usr/bin/python3
import sqlite3

def ConnectToSharedDB(sdb):
return sqlite3.connect(sdb)

print(sqlite3.sqlite_version)
print(sqlite3.__path__)
SharedDB = ":memory:"
con = ConnectToSharedDB(SharedDB)
cur = con.cursor()
cur.execute("SELECT sqlite_version(),sqlite_source_id();")
for row in cur:
print(row[0] + '\r\n' + row[1])

con.close()

--

What if eternity is real? Where will you spend it? Hmmmm...