Mailing List Archive

Tool that can document private inner class?
I've been banging my head on Sphinx for a couple of days now, trying to
get it to include the docstrings of a private (name starts with two
underscores) inner class. All I've managed to do is convince myself
that it really can't do it.

See https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/11181.

Is there a tool out there that can do this?

Re: Tool that can document private inner class? [ In reply to ]
Yes.

Inspect module

import inspect

class Mine:

def __init__(self):
self.__value = 7

def __getvalue(self):
"""Gets seven"""
return self.__value

mine = Mine()
data = inspect.getdoc(mine)
for m in inspect.getmembers(mine):
if '__getvalue' in m[0]:
d = inspect.getdoc(m[1])
print(d)

From: Python-list <python-list-bounces+gweatherby=uchc.edu@python.org> on behalf of Ian Pilcher <arequipeno@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 3:34 PM
To: python-list@python.org <python-list@python.org>
Subject: Tool that can document private inner class?
*** Attention: This is an external email. Use caution responding, opening attachments or clicking on links. ***

I've been banging my head on Sphinx for a couple of days now, trying to
get it to include the docstrings of a private (name starts with two
underscores) inner class. All I've managed to do is convince myself
that it really can't do it.

See https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/11181__;!!Cn_UX_p3!nTY5lSlEetgdaUdvelXo0VuYFt8-2nTnGIxK5whhkN8wXilJfeWOjyS9RJfSLbu9R6cwmmtjxYYDCfh9C4AH_g$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/11181__;!!Cn_UX_p3!nTY5lSlEetgdaUdvelXo0VuYFt8-2nTnGIxK5whhkN8wXilJfeWOjyS9RJfSLbu9R6cwmmtjxYYDCfh9C4AH_g$> .

Is there a tool out there that can do this?

Google Where SkyNet meets Idiocracy
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list__;!!Cn_UX_p3!nTY5lSlEetgdaUdvelXo0VuYFt8-2nTnGIxK5whhkN8wXilJfeWOjyS9RJfSLbu9R6cwmmtjxYYDCfh_9Xz7jg$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list__;!!Cn_UX_p3!nTY5lSlEetgdaUdvelXo0VuYFt8-2nTnGIxK5whhkN8wXilJfeWOjyS9RJfSLbu9R6cwmmtjxYYDCfh_9Xz7jg$>
Re: Tool that can document private inner class? [ In reply to ]
On 2/7/23 14:53, Weatherby,Gerard wrote:
> Yes.
>
> Inspect module
>
> import inspect
>

> class Mine:
>
> def __init__(self):
> self.__value = 7
>
> def __getvalue(self):
> /"""Gets seven"""
> /return self.__value
>

> mine = Mine()
> data = inspect.getdoc(mine)
> for m in inspect.getmembers(mine):
> if '__getvalue' in m[0]:
>         d = inspect.getdoc(m[1])
> print(d)

Can inspect generate HTML documentation, à la Sphinx and other tools?

Re: Tool that can document private inner class? [ In reply to ]
No.

I interpreted your query as ?is there something that can read docstrings of dunder methods??

Have you tried the Sphinx specific support forums? https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/support.html

*** Attention: This is an external email. Use caution responding, opening attachments or clicking on links. ***

On 2/7/23 14:53, Weatherby,Gerard wrote:
> Yes.
>
> Inspect module
>
> import inspect
>

> class Mine:
>
> def __init__(self):
> self.__value = 7
>
> def __getvalue(self):
> /"""Gets seven"""
> /return self.__value
>

> mine = Mine()
> data = inspect.getdoc(mine)
> for m in inspect.getmembers(mine):
> if '__getvalue' in m[0]:
> d = inspect.getdoc(m[1])
> print(d)

Can inspect generate HTML documentation, ? la Sphinx and other tools?

Re: Tool that can document private inner class? [ In reply to ]
On 2/8/23 08:25, Weatherby,Gerard wrote:
> No.
>
> I interpreted your query as “is there something that can read docstrings
> of dunder methods?”
>
> Have you tried the Sphinx specific support forums?
> https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/support.html

Yes. I've posted to both the -user and -dev groups, and I've also filed
an issue[1]. I haven't received a response.

Thus my conclusion that Sphinx, specifically autodoc, simply can't do
this.

[1] https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/11181