Mailing List Archive

Languages working together
Thomas,

I changed the subject line as we are not talking about bool and int anymore.

For me, there are several sides to JAVA that go beyond the "language" to the
JVM, or Java Virtual Machine. What you are describing is an example of
interoperability you can get if your language also is built on using the
JVM. Jython is an example as you mention and thus you can access
functionality written in another language as they sort of meet at the JVM
level. I have studied several others like Kotlin and Scala.

Every language has to have some reason to exist, sometimes not a great
reason, and it is nice when you can combine the strengths of some language
you like to use for some purposes, with another language that already has
lots of code and resources you may find useful.

They need not necessarily share an underlying sub-language like the JVM,
though. For example, I have written combination programs that in a sense
operate back and forth on data using Python and R and let me use things I
handle well in each, but of course only up to some point. But as you pointed
out a while ago, it may not always be necessary as you showed a ggplot()
implementation within python, so if all I wanted was to finish off a program
using a graphics system I am fluent in, I could have possibly remained just
within Python. Sharing can come at many levels. I am fairly certain many
very different languages may still share libraries written ages ago and
written in C or FORTRAN and thus external to other languages and just need
some way to interface to them.

Avi