Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: HTTP server benchmarking/load testing in Python [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 at 14:21, Thomas Passin <list1@tompassin.net> wrote:
> 2. "What is Tjunction max temperature?"
> Tjunction max is the maximum thermal junction temperature that a
> processor will allow prior to using internal thermal control mechanisms
> to reduce power and limit temperature. Activation of the processor's
> thermal control system may cause performance loss as the processor
> typically reduces frequency and power to prevent overheating. The
> maximum junction temperature limit varies per product and usually is
> between 100°C-110°C."
>
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005597/processors.html
>
> The utilities I used always stated a 100 deg limit for Tj.

Yeah, so "maximum" is "before performance loss", not "before damage".

ChrisA
Re: HTTP server benchmarking/load testing in Python [ In reply to ]
On 1/26/2023 10:32 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 at 14:21, Thomas Passin <list1@tompassin.net> wrote:
>> 2. "What is Tjunction max temperature?"
>> Tjunction max is the maximum thermal junction temperature that a
>> processor will allow prior to using internal thermal control mechanisms
>> to reduce power and limit temperature. Activation of the processor's
>> thermal control system may cause performance loss as the processor
>> typically reduces frequency and power to prevent overheating. The
>> maximum junction temperature limit varies per product and usually is
>> between 100°C-110°C."
>>
>> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005597/processors.html
>>
>> The utilities I used always stated a 100 deg limit for Tj.
>>

> Yeah, so "maximum" is "before performance loss", not "before damage".

Yeah, so a dozen years ago, when I first noticed the matter, most
computers didn't have throttling and power reduction, so I got
sensitized to it. Better safe than sorry. Airliners have safeguards
against stalling, but it's a lot better not to try to stall them anyway
(speaking as a (non-airline) pilot).

Let's give this a rest, shall we?