I want to become a python developer so what is a good reference to follow ?

Thanks in advance !

Walid
Re: python developer [ In reply to ]
On 30/09/2022 5:09 am, Walid AlMasri wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I has been using python in scientific computing for many years
>
> I want to become a python developer so what is a good reference to follow ?

A developer makes products whereas a scientist understands complexities.

I would recommend reading about Scrum
https://www.scrum.org/resources/what-is-scrum

After many years you probably already know enough Python to do anything.

Your task as a developer is to understand the relationship between a
problem (business or scientific) and a maintainable, perhaps packaged,
product which handles the drudgery and leaves expert judgement to the
human user(s).

Scrum is the easiest way down that road.

You need a customer with a problem. You might be your own first customer.

Cheers

Mike

--
Signed email is an absolute defence against phishing. This email has
been signed with my private key. If you import my public key you can
Re: python developer [ In reply to ]
2022-09-29, Mike Dewhirst <miked@dewhirst.com.au> schrieb:
> This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 4880 and 3156)

Why?

[Schnipp]
--
Jan v/d Broek
balglaas@dds.nl
Re: python developer [ In reply to ]
On 2022-09-30 05:31:15 -0000, Jan van den Broek wrote:
> 2022-09-29, Mike Dewhirst <miked@dewhirst.com.au> schrieb:
> > This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 4880 and 3156)
>
> Why?

Why not? Signing an email protects against impersonation and tampering.
While you may not be assured that my name is indeed "Peter J. Holzer",
you can be sure that all the messages signed with the same key came from
the same person and that they were not modified by somebody else (at
least not the signed part). I've been signing all my (private) mails for
25 years or so.

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | Story must make more sense than reality.
|_|_) | |
__/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | challenge!"
Re: python developer [ In reply to ]
On 30/09/2022 3:31 pm, Jan van den Broek wrote:
> 2022-09-29, Mike Dewhirst<miked@dewhirst.com.au> schrieb:
>> This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 4880 and 3156)
> Why?

Good question.

Further to Peter's explanation, email is the primary conduit for
hackers. At this point in time human education and training is the only
defence. The bad guys count on human error because that's what humans
are good at.

If everyone signed their mail and all mail clients defaulted to
expecting signed email from correspondents for whom the public key is
known, some of that defence can be delegated to the computer.

I'm not expecting this any time soon but it doesn't hurt to get the
message out.

Most email activists demand end-to-end encryption and obviously signing
email is part of that. However, my view is that email privacy, while
very important, is an oxymoron. If you need encrypted messages you would
never use email. You would meet under a waterfall.

So the answer to your question is signed email is easy and if it becomes
popular it has potential to defeat hackers.

Cheers

Mike

Re: python developer [ In reply to ]
On 9/30/22 22:07, Mike Dewhirst wrote:
> Most email activists demand end-to-end encryption and obviously signing
> email is part of that. However, my view is that email privacy, while
> very important, is an oxymoron. If you need encrypted messages you would
> never use email. You would meet under a waterfall.

A friend and I used to encrypt our emails. Anyone decrypting them would
find sensitive information from two old farts bitching about the
weather. My approach is give them so much data they drown in it. Of
course with NSA's Bluffdale facility, that's one hell of a lot.
Re: python developer [ In reply to ]
2022-10-01, Mike Dewhirst <miked@dewhirst.com.au> schrieb:

>So the answer to your question is signed email is easy and if it becomes
>popular it has potential to defeat hackers.

Yes, but I'm reading this as a usenet-message (comp.lang.python), not as
a mail.
--
Jan v/d Broek
balglaas@dds.nl
Re: python developer [ In reply to ]
Jan van den Broek <balglaas@dds.nl> writes:

> 2022-10-01, Mike Dewhirst <miked@dewhirst.com.au> schrieb:
>
>>So the answer to your question is signed email is easy and if it becomes
>>popular it has potential to defeat hackers.
>
> Yes, but I'm reading this as a usenet-message (comp.lang.python), not as
> a mail.

You are reading a mirror of the mailing list:

"This mailing list is a general discussion list for the Python
programming language. Please note that for those who prefer, this list
is mirrored to the Usenet newsgroup comp.lang.python"

Re: python developer [ In reply to ]
On 2022-10-01 13:11:41 -0000, Jan van den Broek wrote:
> 2022-10-01, Mike Dewhirst <miked@dewhirst.com.au> schrieb:
> >So the answer to your question is signed email is easy and if it becomes
> >popular it has potential to defeat hackers.
>
> Yes, but I'm reading this as a usenet-message (comp.lang.python), not as
> a mail.

Well, I'm reading it as a mail :-).

There's a gateway between the usenet group and the mailing list. Any
message[1] sent to one shows up on the other.

Of course any argument for or against signing messages on public mailing
lists also is valid on Usenet. Although there is one additional against
it on Usenet: There are more newsreaders which still (30 years after RFC
1341[2]) don't implement MIME correctly.

hp

[1] Not quite: there's a filter to prevent spam and and some other
messages from getting to the mailing list.
[2] Yeah! Anniversary! (Throws confetti, blows a vuvuzela)

Re: python developer [ In reply to ]
Ah well! I did not think that far ahead.My apologies for burdening your digest. Should I abandon my quest?M--(Unsigned mail from my phone)
-------- Original message --------From: Jan van den Broek <balglaas@dds.nl> Date: 2/10/22 06:58 (GMT+10:00) To: python-list@python.org Subject: Re: python developer 2022-10-01, Mike Dewhirst <miked@dewhirst.com.au> schrieb:>So the answer to your question is signed email is easy and if it becomes >popular it has potential to defeat hackers.Yes, but I'm reading this as a usenet-message (comp.lang.python), not as a mail.-- Jan v/d Broekbalglaas@dds.nl-- https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list
Re: python developer [ In reply to ]
2022-10-01, orzodk <orzodk@neomailbox.net> schrieb:
> Jan van den Broek <balglaas@dds.nl> writes:
>
>> 2022-10-01, Mike Dewhirst <miked@dewhirst.com.au> schrieb:
>>
>>>So the answer to your question is signed email is easy and if it becomes
>>>popular it has potential to defeat hackers.
>>
>> Yes, but I'm reading this as a usenet-message (comp.lang.python), not as
>> a mail.
>
> You are reading a mirror of the mailing list:

I was aware of that.

--
Jan v/d Broek
balglaas@dds.nl