I'm aware that Python also have something called Embedded Zip for Windows and nothing like that for Linux as far as I know, and I think this Embedded Zip is not something that the user wants to work with that directly it's for embedding in a C++ application, so it's not the same as options that Java and NodeJS offering

My question is why is Python haven't an option for downloading as Compressed Archive?
Is it's due to a technical issue? political reasons? or is it just simply because nobody has thought of doing it?

Re: About Python Compressed Archive or Binaries [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 2:42 AM Sina Mobasheri
<sinamobasheri@outlook.com> wrote:

> Java offers download JDK as Compressed Archive or NodeJS offers download Node as Binaries both give us a compressed file for Linux and windows that we can just unzipped it and put in a custom directory and set some environment variables and start working
>

> I'm aware that Python also have something called Embedded Zip for Windows and nothing like that for Linux as far as I know, and I think this Embedded Zip is not something that the user wants to work with that directly it's for embedding in a C++ application, so it's not the same as options that Java and NodeJS offering
>

> My question is why is Python haven't an option for downloading as Compressed Archive?
> Is it's due to a technical issue? political reasons? or is it just simply because nobody has thought of doing it?

https://docs.python.org/3/library/zipapp.html

:)

ChrisA
Re: About Python Compressed Archive or Binaries [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 2:47 AM Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 2:42 AM Sina Mobasheri
> <sinamobasheri@outlook.com> wrote:
> >
> > Java offers download JDK as Compressed Archive or NodeJS offers download Node as Binaries both give us a compressed file for Linux and windows that we can just unzipped it and put in a custom directory and set some environment variables and start working
> >

> > I'm aware that Python also have something called Embedded Zip for Windows and nothing like that for Linux as far as I know, and I think this Embedded Zip is not something that the user wants to work with that directly it's for embedding in a C++ application, so it's not the same as options that Java and NodeJS offering
> >

> > My question is why is Python haven't an option for downloading as Compressed Archive?
> > Is it's due to a technical issue? political reasons? or is it just simply because nobody has thought of doing it?

Premature send, oops.

That's already possible: https://docs.python.org/3/library/zipapp.html :)

Alternatively, if you mean the CPython binary itself, then that is
available in a number of formats, so I'm not sure what you're asking
about in that case.

ChrisA
Re: About Python Compressed Archive or Binaries [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Yes, this is good question for Windows users.

Of course, you can download installer exe-file -> do installation ->
pack directory with python interpreter to zip (for example, or 7z) ->
copy archive file to another place/computer and unpack.

But it will not work out of box because original installer modifies
resources in MZ file and path to stdlib is there.

So just to use interpreter from that archive file you need to open
python.exe file and fix it (in any binary/hex editor).

This simple procedure but ... anyway ... I agree with Sina.

It would be nice to have just zip file with python interpreter (not
executable installer), unpack it anywhere, add path  to this 'anywhere'
to PATH, and use it.

Java/DotNet/Go have this option. But python - not.

And question is - why?

Re: About Python Compressed Archive or Binaries [ In reply to ]
That's exactly what I mean thank you ????????????
________________________________

Re: About Python Compressed Archive or Binaries [ In reply to ]
On 1/17/22, Sina Mobasheri <sinamobasheri@outlook.com> wrote:

> I'm aware that Python also have something called Embedded Zip for Windows
> and nothing like that for Linux as far as I know, and I think this Embedded
> Zip is not something that the user wants to work with that directly it's for
> embedding in a C++ application, so it's not the same as options that Java
> and NodeJS offering

Use the NuGet packages:

https://docs.python.org/3/using/windows.html#the-nuget-org-packages

These are zipped archives of Python 3.x.y that can be unpacked and
used anywhere you want.
Re: About Python Compressed Archive or Binaries [ In reply to ]
On 17/01/2022 18.49, Kirill Ratkin wrote:
> It would be nice to have just zip file with python interpreter (not
> executable installer), unpack it anywhere, add path  to this 'anywhere'
> to PATH, and use it.
>
> Java/DotNet/Go have this option. But python - not.
>
> And question is - why?

Java is developed by Oracle (revenue 49 billion USD)
.NET is developed by Microsoft (revenue 161 billion USD)
Go is developed by Google (revenue of parent company is 182 billion USD)
Python is developed by a bunch of (mostly unpoaid) volunteers under the
umbrella of the PSF (revenue 3.1 million USD).

Do you see a pattern? :)

A distributable binary format for CPython is high on our list. Brett
Cannon, Nathaniel Smith, and I have been discussion a proposal recently.
I landed a bunch of changes in 3.11-dev that are both useful for binary
distribution and for Web Assembly builds. Because all work is done in
our free time, there is only little progress.

Christian
Re: About Python Compressed Archive or Binaries [ In reply to ]
Thanks I really appreciate that, its time consuming task and take lots of hard work for sure, I was thinking it's technical issue for python that there isn't binary format for it, so I'm happy to hear that we will have that option in the future ????????????