performance?

Regards,

David
Re: System, configuration and Python performance [ In reply to ]
On 2021-11-01 23:02, Shaozhong SHI wrote:
> How to configure to improve Python performance in a system like the
> following:
>
> Windows 10
>
> System
>
> Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700 CPU @3.60GHz, 3.60 GHz
> Installed memory (RAM) 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
> System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
>
> I found that the Python script was runnig slowly and wanted to find out
> what is going on and what activities it is doing.
>
> I opened the Task Manager and found that there is not much CPU usage.
>
> Do I need to do something like configuration to improve Python's
> performance?

If CPU usage is low, then that isn't the cause of the slowness.

What about disk usage?

What about network usage?

If it's communicating across the internet, then it might be waiting for
the other end. If that's the case, then there's probably not much you
can do about it.
Re: System, configuration and Python performance [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2 Nov 2021 at 00:09, MRAB <python@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

> On 2021-11-01 23:02, Shaozhong SHI wrote:
> > How to configure to improve Python performance in a system like the
> > following:
> >
> > Windows 10
> >
> > System
> >
> > Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700 CPU @3.60GHz, 3.60 GHz
> > Installed memory (RAM) 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
> > System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
> >
> > I found that the Python script was runnig slowly and wanted to find out
> > what is going on and what activities it is doing.
> >
> > I opened the Task Manager and found that there is not much CPU usage.
> >
> > Do I need to do something like configuration to improve Python's
> > performance?
> >
> If CPU usage is low, then that isn't the cause of the slowness.
>
> What about disk usage?
>
> What about network usage?
>
> If it's communicating across the internet, then it might be waiting for
> the other end. If that's the case, then there's probably not much you
> can do about it.

Both disk usage and network usage are very low as well.

It is checking out responses of internet pages with given URLs.

Regards,

David

Re: System, configuration and Python performance [ In reply to ]

Re: System, configuration and Python performance [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 11:21 AM Shaozhong SHI <shishaozhong@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Nov 2021 at 00:09, MRAB <python@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2021-11-01 23:02, Shaozhong SHI wrote:
> > > How to configure to improve Python performance in a system like the
> > > following:
> > >
> > > Windows 10
> > >
> > > System
> > >
> > > Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700 CPU @3.60GHz, 3.60 GHz
> > > Installed memory (RAM) 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
> > > System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
> > >
> > > I found that the Python script was runnig slowly and wanted to find out
> > > what is going on and what activities it is doing.
> > >
> > > I opened the Task Manager and found that there is not much CPU usage.
> > >
> > > Do I need to do something like configuration to improve Python's
> > > performance?
> > >
> > If CPU usage is low, then that isn't the cause of the slowness.
> >
> > What about disk usage?
> >
> > What about network usage?
> >
> > If it's communicating across the internet, then it might be waiting for
> > the other end. If that's the case, then there's probably not much you
> > can do about it.
> >

> Both disk usage and network usage are very low as well.
>
> It is checking out responses of internet pages with given URLs.

That's almost certainly waiting for the server, then. There's nothing
you can do - in Python or any other language - to speed that up.

What you MAY be able to do is parallelize - do multiple requests at
once - but not all servers will let you hammer them.

ChrisA