Mailing List Archive

Subject: Re: Posts from gmane no longer allowed?
On 2021-09-26, Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the tips on registering an application for oauth2
credentials. It sounds like I should be able to do that if I practice
my hoop-jumping a bit more.

> (But I'd still recommend an app password. Much easier.)

Yes, I really should go with the 2FA and app-password option. Do you
need the 2nd factor every time you connect to GMail via a browser or
Android Gmail app? Or just the first time for each browser/device? A
bit of studying seems to be in order no matter what. :)

I had initially thought that oauth2 was going to be the easier row to
hoe, but it had a lot more roots and rocks than I thought.

>> I could continue to read the list with slrn, but post using something
>> like Thunderbird, but do I really want to set up a whole new MUA just
>> for one mailing list? [.The other 20+ mailing lists I follow are all
>> happy with posts from gmane.]
>
> I'm not sure whether the policy change happened on python-list, or at
> gmane. From the look of the error message you got, it may have
> actually been gmane's decision. Haven't heard anything from the list
> admins here about it, either way, so I have no idea.

I'm just guessing, but I can't imagine that gmane's owner would have
done that unless python-list itself started to refuse posts (or the
python-list admins requested that gmane stop sending posts).

--
Grant
Re: Subject: Re: Posts from gmane no longer allowed? [ In reply to ]
On 2021-09-26 at 11:21:08 -0500,
Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...] Do you need the 2nd factor every time you connect to GMail via a
> browser or Android Gmail app? Or just the first time for each
> browser/device? A bit of studying seems to be in order no matter
> what. :)

No. I use mbsync (formerly isync) to synchronize my gmail account with
a local maildir folder, and while mbsync does send the app password
(over TLS) to google every few minutes, it doesn't need the second
factor. Or at least it hasn't so far (it's been a couple of years). I
do get periodic nags from google because I'm using a "less secure"
method than their web page to access my mail, but I ignore them.
Re: Subject: Re: Posts from gmane no longer allowed? [ In reply to ]
On 9/26/21 9:21 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2021-09-26, Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm not sure whether the policy change happened on python-list, or at
>> gmane. From the look of the error message you got, it may have
>> actually been gmane's decision. Haven't heard anything from the list
>> admins here about it, either way, so I have no idea.
>
> I'm just guessing, but I can't imagine that gmane's owner would have
> done that unless python-list itself started to refuse posts (or the
> python-list admins requested that gmane stop sending posts).

I am unaware of a change in the newsgroup <--> mailing list policy, and other newsgroup posts were coming through last
week (it's been a light weekend).

--
~Ethan~
Re: Subject: Re: Posts from gmane no longer allowed? [ In reply to ]
On 9/26/21 10:38, 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE@potatochowder.com wrote:
> On 2021-09-26 at 11:21:08 -0500,

> No. I use mbsync (formerly isync) to synchronize my gmail account with
> a local maildir folder, and while mbsync does send the app password
> (over TLS) to google every few minutes, it doesn't need the second
> factor. Or at least it hasn't so far (it's been a couple of years). I
> do get periodic nags from google because I'm using a "less secure"
> method than their web page to access my mail, but I ignore them.

Just be aware, because It's Google, this will change again at some point
and you'll lose access. I had a working setup that started triggering
the less-secure warnings, but was able to ignore it after setting the
account to allow such "insecure" access (several times, because it kept
"forgetting" that setting, probably quite intentionally). And then after
a while, there was no way around it, and now if my infrequently used
setup gets triggered to sync with gmail I get "critical security alert"
messages and nothing goes through. And it's unchangeable. I'm going to
have to go clean it out, just been too lazy to do so.
Re: Subject: Re: Posts from gmane no longer allowed? [ In reply to ]
On 2021-09-26, Mats Wichmann <mats@wichmann.us> wrote:
> On 9/26/21 10:38, 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE@potatochowder.com wrote:
>> On 2021-09-26 at 11:21:08 -0500,
>
>> No. I use mbsync (formerly isync) to synchronize my gmail account with
>> a local maildir folder, and while mbsync does send the app password
>> (over TLS) to google every few minutes, it doesn't need the second
>> factor. Or at least it hasn't so far (it's been a couple of years). I
>> do get periodic nags from google because I'm using a "less secure"
>> method than their web page to access my mail, but I ignore them.

Are you using an app-specific password?

> Just be aware, because It's Google, this will change again at some point
> and you'll lose access.

Of course. That's half the fun of using Google's services. ;)
Re: Subject: Re: Posts from gmane no longer allowed? [ In reply to ]
On 2021-09-26 at 17:40:18 -0700,
Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2021-09-26, Mats Wichmann <mats@wichmann.us> wrote:
> > On 9/26/21 10:38, 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE@potatochowder.com wrote:
> >> On 2021-09-26 at 11:21:08 -0500,
> >
> >> No. I use mbsync (formerly isync) to synchronize my gmail account with
> >> a local maildir folder, and while mbsync does send the app password
> >> (over TLS) to google every few minutes, it doesn't need the second
> >> factor. Or at least it hasn't so far (it's been a couple of years). I
> >> do get periodic nags from google because I'm using a "less secure"
> >> method than their web page to access my mail, but I ignore them.
>
> Are you using an app-specific password?

Yes. It was a hoop, but not a big one. No, wait, I mean it wasn't a
small, flaming, poison spiked hoop; i.e., it was fairly simple to jump
through.

> > Just be aware, because It's Google, this will change again at some
> > point and you'll lose access.
>
> Of course. That's half the fun of using Google's services. ;)

If it changes, I'll just forward incoming mail to my main (non-google)
account and not look back. If I didn't need the account to access the
google store on my android phone, I'd would have abandoned it long ago.