can I best proceed to install modules for working with mysql and ldap?

--
Antoon.
Re: python 2.6: Need some advise for installing modules on a legacy system [ In reply to ]
I don't think pip supports 2.x anymore.

You might be able to:
1) Look up what versions of your desired modules support Python 2.x on
pypi's website
2) Install them on another system that has Python 3.x using pip
3) Copy them to the moribund system
4) Test

Re: python 2.6: Need some advise for installing modules on a legacy system [ In reply to ]
You also could try getting the modules (of suitable versions) you need from
their homepage, possibly github, and then use the setup.py to install your
packages. pypi usually has a link to a project's homepage.

Re: python 2.6: Need some advise for installing modules on a legacy system [ In reply to ]
On 24/02/2021 14:13, Antoon Pardon wrote:
> I need to do some development on this legacy system. It only runs
> python2.6 and there is little hope of installing an other version. How
> can I best proceed to install modules for working with mysql and ldap?

The answer very much depends on the operating system. If it's a Linux
system with a working package manager, chances are most common modules
were packaged by the distribution vendor, and your best bet is probably
to get the RPMs or deb packages from the corresponding package archive.
There usually is one.

Otherwise, as Dan suggested, find the source tar.gz (or zip, or
whatever) file for the last version that supported python 2.6 on the
corresponding project's website or on PyPI and install the packages (and
all their dependencies) using the setup.py scripts. If you're on
Windows, you'll probably need Visual Studio 2008 or at least the Visual
C++ compiler version 9.0 (see
<https://wiki.python.org/moin/WindowsCompilers#Microsoft_Visual_C.2B-.2B-_9.0_standalone:_Visual_C.2B-.2B-_Compiler_for_Python_2.7_.28x86.2C_x64.29>)

That being said, I am curious: if you can install Python modules, why
can't you install a newer Python interpreter? Are you running Windows 2000?

Have fun I guess

Thomas

--
Dr. Thomas Jollans