Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4  View All
Re: New Python implementation [ In reply to ]
Christian Gollwitzer schreef op 16/02/2021 om 8:25:
> Am 15.02.21 um 21:37 schrieb Roel Schroeven:
>>
>> So your claim is that your compiler is able to, or will be able to,
>> compile any language just by specifying a small schema file. Great!
>>
>> Do you maybe have a proof-of-concept? A simple language with a simple
>> schema file to test the basic workings of your compiler,
>
> Here is the git repo:
>
> https://github.com/i42output/neos
>
> under languages/ you'll find different schema files.

I saw that, and I saw the schema files. I had a look at the one for C,
because I don't know the first thing about Ada, and it's not nearly
enough to describe even the tiniest subset of C. And I saw the example
session he posted here, where he supposedly compiles something, but
doesn't even run it. It looked like that compilation did nothing but
folding and folding and folding. And he didn't run it!

So it looks like that's the status of the project now: a compilation
step that does /something/, but apparently doesn't result in anything
runnable. And some work-in-progress (seemingly) schema files, but
nothing concrete yet.

But I wanted to give Mr Flibble to benefit of the doubt, and asked more
explicitly about the status of the project. Apparently I was too late,
Mr Flibble was already banned, but I didn't know that yet.

I've thougt about downloading the whole thing and trying to build it.
But I'd have to install Visual Studio 2019 first and probably some
dependencies. It didn't seem worth the effort.

Regards,
Roel

--
"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a
friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger."

Roel Schroeven

Re: New Python implementation [ In reply to ]
On 21/02/16 11:03AM, Alan Gauld wrote:

>Python v1 was a good teaching language. v2 complicated it a bit
>but it was still usable. v3 is no longer a good teaching language
>(unless maybe you are teaching CompSci at university.)

[...]

>And that's just one example, the language is now full of meta goodness
>that makes it incomprehensible to beginners. In a teaching environment,
>with a teacher present to answer questions, it's probably usable,
>but for a self guided course it's increasingly inscrutable.

Hmm. I'm not sure I can agree, Alan. My son took to Python 3 like a duck to
water. Occasionally he has had questions for me, but, for the most part, he
has been entirely on his own with no issues. He now has several projects that
others are using, including a significant update to someone else's project he
was interested online to both update the Python and Qt.

Yes, there is a ton of meta-goodness in Python, but most of it can be ignored
to be able to *just use it*. My wife is using Python 3 in a robotics class
she teaches and her high school students find it accessible. AP computer
science second semester uses Python. I really don't think it is much of a
problem for most people. Of course on the Tutor list there often seems to be
some greatly puzzled people, but I think their issues stem from *never* having
tried to do anything even remotely technical other than clicking around in
the GUI programs they have become comfortable with.

--
Wishing you only the best,

boB Stepp
Re: New Python implementation [ In reply to ]
On 2021-02-14 00:52:43 +0000, Alan Gauld via Python-list wrote:
> On 14/02/2021 00:07, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > The neos Python implementation will not be dealing
> > with Python byte code in any form whatsoever.
>
> Ok but what do you do with the disassembler module?

What do PyPy, Jython, IronPython etc. do with the disassembler module?
My guess is that they simply don't implement it. It's tightly coupled to
the CPython implementation and useless on any other implementation. A
disassembler module for their respective bytecode or machine language
might be useful, but that wouldn't be compatible with CPython's
disassembler in input nor output.

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | Story must make more sense than reality.
|_|_) | |
__/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | challenge!"
Re: New Python implementation [ In reply to ]
On 16/02/2021 22:23, boB Stepp wrote:

>> And that's just one example, the language is now full of meta goodness
>> that makes it incomprehensible to beginners.
>
> Hmm. I'm not sure I can agree, Alan. My son took to Python 3 like a duck to
> water.

That's interesting. I knew you were teaching him but not
how he got on. Good for him.

My comments stem from the feedback emails I get from my tutorial.
People get messages like "foo is not an iterable" or references
to range objects and such and it confuses them.

I never got those kinds of messages for the v.1 tutorial...

> Yes, there is a ton of meta-goodness in Python, but most of it can be ignored
> to be able to *just use it*.

But the problem I see is that you can't ignore it because
it bubbles to the surface in error messages. And if you
don't know what it means you don't know that you can ignore it!
That's where a teacher/mentor comes in, they can say "Oh that's OK
just ignore it!" but if you are on your own you think
"Oh no! What do I do now?"

But as I say, I can't find anything better so I'll stick
with it for now.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site

Re: New Python implementation [ In reply to ]
Greetings list,

> Even if Python is my choice language for personal projects, I am not
certain it
is the right language to use in a classroom context.

This sums the view of most teachers in my country. In here for A level
at Cambridge for Computer Studies you can choose either Java, or VB or
Python

The teachers' logic seems to tell them that VB is the simplest of all and
more fitted for students. Since we organise the local Python usergroup
<https://www.pymug.com>,
we have been encouraging the adoption of Python. This happens from
experience when teachers think for students, they think student will think
like that etc

The way schools examinations are set up, learning programming is a bore.
Programming requires experimentation and projects. The students must be
permitted to explore the wide deep sea that is Python. On one of my projects
on Github, i have a toy language, someone from Slovakia (14 years old)
built
an IDE for it, what was needed was only guidance where he was stuck.

The hurdle with Python if any is the setting up and getting the command
'python'
to appear in the terminal, which is very easy to get up and running
nowadays.

When i was in high school, i did not take Computer Studies, but was
learning programming
on my own, including Python. The irony is that my friends who were learning
Python
got disgusted with it. Loops and functions turned out to be hard for them.
That's because
learning for the exam makes you learn the language close to theory. Some
commandline
stuffs and some numbers stuffs surely is not exiting. Mastery comes with
projects, exciting ones.
Then whatever the syllabus requires becomes easy. It's a means to an end
rather than the end
in itself.

The teachers' reaction is a reaction to the design of the syllabus. The
folks seem to think that let's
water it down to a very theoretical approach, strike out practise, strike
out the fun out of it and
sure the students will find it easier. Since effort is disliked by humans,
less effort in learning programming
will make students happy.

Then, if it was no Python at that time, it might be no Python for life.
With that mindset ongoing,
those students think they know Python, they studied it, but they missed the
whole thing. Forest,
trees and leaves. They know only the color of the sign board leading to the
place.

Kind Regards,

Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer
about <https://compileralchemy.github.io/> | blog
<https://www.pythonkitchen.com>
github <https://github.com/Abdur-RahmaanJ>
Mauritius
Re: New Python implementation [ In reply to ]
On 16/02/2021 21:22, Tarjei Bærland via Python-list wrote:

> To me, it depends on what you want out of including programming in
> mathematics education.

That's a really important subclass distinction.
If programming is seen as an adjunct to math then the aims
can be simplified considerably since you are only interested
in pure computation. Things like networking, interfacing
to peripherals and the like can be ignored.
Likewise you probably don't care about creating large projects wit
multiple files etc.

With those constraints there are probably better languages
than python. You mention Logo and I had fun with that back
in the 80s and early 90s. But ultimately it wasn't suitable
for the kind of real-world programming I needed.

That's why I chose python for my tutorial. Its not only
teachable at a basic level but it is actually usable on
larger, real-world type projects once you've learned it.
You never need to throw away your skills.

> If the aim is to quickly get the students to "be creative" with
> programming by themselves, my feeling is that Python is too unwieldy for
> a beginner.

Don't underestimate the interactive prompt. It gives instant
feedback and is moire usable for beginners than most Lisp-style
REPLs.

Logo works too of course. But almost anything you can do in
Logo you can do almost as easily in Python. Be it list
handling or turtle graphics.

> minutes. They get the feeling of designing their own computational
> procedure much quicker than in Python. (Yes, of course, the introductory
> excercises in Python are a bit more advanced than "add two numbers".)

But they don't need to be. My tutor starts off with precisely that...

> I am honestly not sure what quite what my feelings are regarding this,
> perhaps Python is the best of all possible options.

Its a good compromise. Its got faults (see my other post!) but
I haven't found anything clearly better.

Re: New Python implementation [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021, 8:15 PM Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer <arj.python@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Greetings list,
>
> > Even if Python is my choice language for personal projects, I am not
> certain it
> is the right language to use in a classroom context.
>
> This sums the view of most teachers in my country. In here for A level
> at Cambridge for Computer Studies you can choose either Java, or VB or
> Python
>
> The teachers' logic seems to tell them that VB is the simplest of all and
> more fitted for students. Since we organise the local Python usergroup
> <https://www.pymug.com>,
> we have been encouraging the adoption of Python. This happens from
> experience when teachers think for students, they think student will think
> like that etc

How old are the teachers?
And is it for school or university?

Thank you.

Re: New Python implementation [ In reply to ]
Greetings,

age: After university to retirement
level: school, A Level is high school, not university
RE: New Python implementation [ In reply to ]
Dennis made the interesting comment "... Python has too much built in ..."

I understand his point. At the same time, I wonder what most people using
computers today, or in the future, need. Given serious amounts of computer
power, what many people may want is higher-level ways to get things done
without worrying how they are done. Python, like many such languages, has a
very basic core that is augmented by what could be libraries, packages,
modules and so on but have been chosen to be built-in to one distribution or
another.

Some people and organizations use some things so commonly, they want python
to start up automatically loading say numpy and pandas and other such
things. They may not care if the programmer knows how to make a linked list
or binary tree data structure. Many such details are encapsulated within
objects built and tested already.

I have seen subjects taught at various levels and python might qualify too.
I took a Physics course that required Calculus and used it to derive
formulas and other things. Others took one that sort of threw equations at
you without much explanation. I have even seen a course called Physics for
Poets. But at least the poets taking it knew science existed and perhaps to
take it seriously when others who had studied it better shared their
results, even if they have no interest in the methods.

We routinely have people learn how to use Word Processors or Spreadsheets
with no clue on how to build such a thing or anything about the Object
models used within or even knowing there is such a thing. Do they need to
know how to use the embedded methods to extend things with Visual Basic or
Javascript? They like getting closer to a WYSIWYG interface that handles
most of their usual needs and perhaps farm out harder things to experts when
needed.

So what if you teach some aspects of python that are needed all over, like
how to make things conditional or in a loop, but not how to make every
possible data structure. What if you deliberately do not teach functional
aspects of the language at first or ever? For some people that is enough to
enable them to then use additional instructions on how to find prepared and
tested chunks to use, even if not always optimally or efficiently. For those
who really want to be programmers, that still may actually be enough if
their task is to work using the tools we have developed, not in making new
tools from scratch. Quite a bit of programming today consists of reading
manual pages and cobbling together chunks that together do the job.

But obviously I would choose the classes where I understood more. Many here
would. But where does it end? Do most of us know how compilers or
interpreters get built or do we just work on top of existing implementations
others make available? Can you build an operating system from Scratch or
make microchips to run them on?

If the goal is Computer USE literacy, I think python has more than enough if
you include the modules that make hard things easy.

Just a thought. Admittedly it is hard these days to give a homework
assignment when the student can find a trivial way to get the result and not
do the hard work.