I am new to Python and have downloaded the software onto my pc. There is no shortcut on my desktop. How the heck do I access it to start learning how to program with it?
Anthony Steventon.

https://www.avg.com
Re: How to start using python [ In reply to ]
On Nov 12, 2020 10:41 PM, "Anthony Steventon" <asteventon@centurytel.net>
wrote:

> I am new to Python and have downloaded the software onto my pc. There is
no shortcut on my desktop. How the heck do I access it to start learning
how to program with it?

Visit www.Python.Org there should be some links to tutorials that should
cover the topics of how to install python and how to start using it. If
that does not help come back to us with more information including your
operating system, the website from which you downloaded the installer, the
name of the installer file, and what you did to install python. You also
might try from a terminal or command prompt typing py, which should start
up a python Interactive session. You should see>>> type 2 + 3 hit enter you
should see a new line displaying five. Let us know how it goes and we'll
give you a hand from there.

Bob Gailer
Re: How to start using python [ In reply to ]
I am not feeling well these days. It is sometimes difficult for me to
respond to others the way I would like to. This is a long reply; in my
humble opinion is important to read all of it

1-whenever you respond to an email from one of us please include the help
list what you can do by reply-all since there are others on this list who
also help.

2 - you did not provide the information I had requested. It's really hard
to help without that information.

3 - problems like you are facing are usually due to some unusual
installation method.

4 - I suspect when you run the Visual Basic icon you enter an interactive
development environment. True? Python also comes with an interactive
development environment its name is IDLE. Idle is normally installed in a
subdirectory how's the one that contains python.exe. once you locate that
director you'll be able to run idle and you will be in an environment that
will look somewhat familiar to you. There are tutorials specifically
written to help you use IDLE. Others on this list can tell you how to
locate that tutorial.

5 - I am sorry you are having such difficulty. It is relatively unusual for
newcomers to experience that.

6 - suggestion: uninstall the thing you installed. go to python.Org. find,
download and run the correct installer paying attention to any information
it gives you on where it is installing python. then try running py again.

Re: How to start using python [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the help from everyone.
Operating system is windows 7. Download installation file is python-3.7.9-amd64.exe downloaded from python.org. No problems when I run it, installation successful.
Have tried 2 + 3 with a result of 5 at the command prompt. whatever I put in after that I get a message telling me the entry is undefined.
Anthony Steventon.

Re: How to start using python [ In reply to ]
On 13Nov2020 15:53, Anthony Steventon <asteventon@centurytel.net> wrote:
>Thanks for the help from everyone.
>Operating system is windows 7. Download installation file is python-3.7.9-amd64.exe downloaded from python.org. No problems when I run it, installation successful.
>Have tried 2 + 3 with a result of 5 at the command prompt. whatever I put in after that I get a message telling me the entry is undefined.
>Anthony Steventon.

Please cut/paste the text of what you're trying, along with the full
error messages. Then we can explain the output to you.

This is a text only list, so no attachments - just paste the text inline
in your message.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs@cskk.id.au>