We all know Python is a wonderful environment, with fantastic packages for App Dev like Flask, SQLAlchemy and Django. Now let’s make it the only reasonable choice for building database-oriented systems.

I’d like to introduce 2 new capabilities:

Build a web app in 10 minutes: this generator <https://github.com/valhuber/fab-quick-start> builds basic multi-page, multi-table apps based on Flask AppBuilder and SQLAlchemy; here’s an article <https://dzone.com/articles/instant-db-web-apps>

40x reduction in backend code: this rules engine <https://github.com/valhuber/python-rules> uses spreadsheet-like rules to automate SQLAlchemy multi-table derivation and constraint logic. The readme and samples show how 5 rules equate to 200 lines of code.

The potential value is substantial: a 40X is reduction is not only helpful for our projects, but has the potential to expand our community.

The second project is in-progress. If you have feedback on the general value or particular features, I’d love to hear from you. And if you’d like to help, super!

Best,
Val

Re: Making Python the Best App Dev Platform [ In reply to ]
Hi!

gMail <valjhuber@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello, All
>
> We all know Python is a wonderful environment,
> with fantastic packages for App Dev like Flask,
> SQLAlchemy and Django. Now let’s make it the only
> reasonable choice for building database-oriented
> systems.
>
> I’d like to introduce 2 new capabilities:
>
> Build a web app in 10 minutes: this generator
> <https://github.com/valhuber/fab-quick-start>
> builds basic multi-page, multi-table apps based on
> Flask AppBuilder and SQLAlchemy; here’s an article
> <https://dzone.com/articles/instant-db-web-apps>
>
> 40x reduction in backend code: this rules engine
> <https://github.com/valhuber/python-rules> uses
> spreadsheet-like rules to automate SQLAlchemy
> multi-table derivation and constraint logic. The
> readme and samples show how 5 rules equate to 200
> lines of code.
>
> The potential value is substantial: a 40X is
> reduction is not only helpful for our projects,
> but has the potential to expand our community.
>
> The second project is in-progress. If you have
> feedback on the general value or particular
> features, I’d love to hear from you. And if you’d
> like to help, super!
>
> Best,
> Val

Also, just a suggestion: how about a way to
bootstrap tests. I haven't really seen that on
theGH link shared above.

--
Bonface M. K. (https://www.bonfacemunyoki.com)
Chief Emacs Mchochezi / Twitter: @BonfaceKilz
Re: Making Python the Best App Dev Platform [ In reply to ]
[.[.Cc'ing the python list for other people to give
useful feedback if they can]]

gMail <valjhuber@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Loved your no-place-like-home joke.

Thanks!

> Wanted to better understand your question / comment about testing.

From my understanding of what the project does(I
haven't really had a deep dive in it- I've merely
skimmed it), it does a lot of bootstrapping for
you. It would be nice to have unittests(defaulting
to python's unittests would be great). And a way
of running said tests.

> In general, rules don’t affect testing, you just run tests as usual and check the results. This usually
> consists of reading the “before” data, running the test (an update transaction), and then comparing “after”
> with “before”. In the past, I wrote a JsonDiff that helped with the comparison.

This sounds like manual testing(?). I've grown to
being keen on testing(though I try not to be a
zealot about it). You'd be surprised(IMO) at how
many people don't know how to write tests, usually
not because they don't want to; but because they
don't know /how to/.

> What did you have in mind?

That being said, it would be nice to see your
project have that-- doing bootstrapping for tests
for you; and having somewhere that mentions how to
run them. I'll try to have a look at it over the
weekend? That's seems like something I'd use-
though it'd have to be more generic.