Mailing List Archive

Problems with tool tips...
Python/IDLE How do I get rid of the "suggestion" box tool tips that always
blocks the work I need to see when writing code? Do they really have to cram
it right up at the data entry point? Can't it be down in the border and out
of the way?

I don't use it as much as it is interfering with my work. Very distracting.

Re: Problems with tool tips... [ In reply to ]
On 8/3/2020 5:57 PM, Steve wrote:

> Python/IDLE How do I get rid of the "suggestion" box tool tips

AFAIK, you are the first person to request this, though perhaps not the
first to think it. Escape closes the box.

> that always blocks the work I need to see when writing code?

AFAIK, the popup is always below the entry line, to avoid blocking the
code above it, which defines the named arguments you might want to
enter. If the entry line is the last visible line, the box starts on
top of the status line. If you see a situation otherwise, please explain.

When you enter code sequentially, so that the entry line is the last
line, the box does not cover anythings. 'Always' is an exaggeration.
When you enter a call in the middle of existing code, the most relevant
code is above, not below.
> Do they really have to cram it right up at the data entry point?

Most of the time, this seems to be the most useful place ;-).

> Can't it be down in the border and out of the way?

Yes, could be, and it sometimes is, but that would generally be less
useful. If one zooms the editor window to full window height (avoiding
the toolbar), then 1-line status bar border allows only the first line
of the tip.

> I don't use it as much as it is interfering with my work. Very
distracting.

Since I do nearly all my python coding in IDLE, I find the box easy to
ignore when I don't need it.

-
Terry Jan Reedy