Mailing List Archive

Encountering fatal error x80070643 while installing Python
Hi everybody,

I've got a problem with the installation of Python. I am a translator and
currently I'm translating a book on programming Minecraft with Python, from
English to Dutch.

My computer is a Windows 10 computer, 64-bits (Toshiba Qosmio all in one).

I already had a 2.7 version of Python installed to C:\Program Files
(x86)\Python and stupidly forgot to uninstall this version when I downloaded
and installed version 3.5.1 (required for the book translation).

This didn't seem to be a problem, since version 3.5.1 installed to my
C:\Users\username\appdata\local\... directory. But when I tried to install
Python 3.5.2 and uninstalled both previous versions, the problems began.

Now I cannot install any version of Python anymore, not 3.5.0 or any later
versions. At the end of the procedure I get a fatal error message, with code
0x80070643, saying an error was encountered and the installation couldn't be
completed.

What do I do now? I desperately need my Python program for my book
translation.

Thanks, Irene

Kind regards,

Irene Venditti

i-write translations and texts

<mailto:info@i-write.biz> info@i-write.biz

<http://www.i-write.biz/> www.i-write.biz

0031 (0)6 220 760 73

Re: Encountering fatal error x80070643 while installing Python [ In reply to ]
On 2016-11-18 11:40, Irene Venditti wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I've got a problem with the installation of Python. I am a translator and
> currently I'm translating a book on programming Minecraft with Python, from
> English to Dutch.
>
> My computer is a Windows 10 computer, 64-bits (Toshiba Qosmio all in one).
>
> I already had a 2.7 version of Python installed to C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Python and stupidly forgot to uninstall this version when I downloaded
> and installed version 3.5.1 (required for the book translation).
>
> This didn't seem to be a problem, since version 3.5.1 installed to my
> C:\Users\username\appdata\local\... directory. But when I tried to install
> Python 3.5.2 and uninstalled both previous versions, the problems began.
>
> Now I cannot install any version of Python anymore, not 3.5.0 or any later
> versions. At the end of the procedure I get a fatal error message, with code
> 0x80070643, saying an error was encountered and the installation couldn't be
> completed.
>
> What do I do now? I desperately need my Python program for my book
> translation.

Have you tried manually deleting those folders? You could just rename
them instead and delay deleting them until the problem is fixed.

It's recommended to give the Python folder a name that reflects its
version, e.g. Python35. If you want both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions,
then Python35-32 and Python35 (or Python35-64).

Re: Encountering fatal error x80070643 while installing Python [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 5:55 PM, MRAB <python@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> On 2016-11-18 11:40, Irene Venditti wrote:
>>
>> This didn't seem to be a problem, since version 3.5.1 installed to my
>> C:\Users\username\appdata\local\... directory. But when I tried to install
>> Python 3.5.2 and uninstalled both previous versions, the problems began.
>>
>> Now I cannot install any version of Python anymore, not 3.5.0 or any later
>> versions. At the end of the procedure I get a fatal error message, with
>> code 0x80070643, saying an error was encountered and the installation
>> couldn't be completed.
>
> Have you tried manually deleting those folders? You could just rename them
> instead and delay deleting them until the problem is fixed.
>
> It's recommended to give the Python folder a name that reflects its version,
> e.g. Python35. If you want both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions, then
> Python35-32 and Python35 (or Python35-64).

It looks like the OP is using the default per-user target directory,
"%LocalAppData%\Programs\Python\Python35[-32]". It's possible
something was left there by the old 3.5.1 installation, such as
pip/setuptools in site-packages, which is causing the 3.5.2
installation to fail. I would first try the "repair" option using the
3.5.1 installer, if that's an available option. Then upgrade to 3.5.2.
You shouldn't need to remove 3.5.1 to install 3.5.2. It's an in-place
upgrade.
Re: Encountering fatal error x80070643 while installing Python [ In reply to ]
On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 6:58:23 PM UTC+5:30, Irene Venditti wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>

> I've got a problem with the installation of Python. I am a translator and
> currently I'm translating a book on programming Minecraft with Python, from
> English to Dutch.
>

> My computer is a Windows 10 computer, 64-bits (Toshiba Qosmio all in one).
>
> I already had a 2.7 version of Python installed to C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Python and stupidly forgot to uninstall this version when I downloaded
> and installed version 3.5.1 (required for the book translation).
>
> This didn't seem to be a problem, since version 3.5.1 installed to my
> C:\Users\username\appdata\local\... directory. But when I tried to install
> Python 3.5.2 and uninstalled both previous versions, the problems began.
>
> Now I cannot install any version of Python anymore, not 3.5.0 or any later
> versions. At the end of the procedure I get a fatal error message, with code
> 0x80070643, saying an error was encountered and the installation couldn't be
> completed.
>

> What do I do now? I desperately need my Python program for my book
> translation.
>

> Thanks, Irene
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Irene Venditti
>
> i-write translations and texts
>

> <mailto:in...@i-write.biz> in...@i-write.biz
>
> <http://www.i-write.biz/> www.i-write.biz
>
> 0031 (0)6 220 760 73
I downloaded the python from microsoft store and it magically got installed without any error as it directly installed it I guess.
So try this out and tell me it works.