Mailing List Archive

mxDateTime in Python distribution
I'd like to add my vote toward integrating Marc Lemburg's mxDateTime
functionality into the next Python release.

I needed to do some date/time arithmetic recently and found that core
Python didn't have this functionality. I was a little skeptical about
using a seperate extension for portability reasons.

Randall
mxDateTime in Python distribution [ In reply to ]
Hi!

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Randall Hopper wrote:
> I'd like to add my vote toward integrating Marc Lemburg's mxDateTime
> functionality into the next Python release.

I vote against it. Not that I am against mxTools - it is perfect
library, really.

> I needed to do some date/time arithmetic recently and found that core
> Python didn't have this functionality. I was a little skeptical about
> using a seperate extension for portability reasons.

There is always some need for something more. Do you really want to
include every bit of code into the Library? It would take infinite time to
download and compile Python distribution if all possible modules and
extensions come in.

I want to keep the Library as little as possible. Download, compile and
install only those extensions you need.

> Randall

Oleg.
----
Oleg Broytmann National Research Surgery Centre phd2@email.com
mxDateTime in Python distribution [ In reply to ]
Oleg Broytmann:
|> I needed to do some date/time arithmetic recently and found that core
|> Python didn't have this functionality. I was a little skeptical about
|> using a seperate extension for portability reasons.
|
| There is always some need for something more. Do you really want to
|include every bit of code into the Library? It would take infinite time to
|download and compile Python distribution if all possible modules and
|extensions come in.
|
| I want to keep the Library as little as possible. Download, compile and
|install only those extensions you need.

On that thread, we should strive for a balance. Short download times is
nice, but we shouldn't go the way of Tcl where everything useful is a
separately downloaded and installed extension. That limits the
accessibility of the language.

(Joe, I tried that new tool you gave me; it doesn't work. Oh, Bill you
have to extensions A,B,C,D,E,F, and G. If you have root access, run this.
Otherwise run this, put these files over here, munge this config file,a and
set this env variable... [Bill to self: Nahh, it's not worth it. Next
project].)

Randall
mxDateTime in Python distribution [ In reply to ]
Randall Hopper wrote:

> Oleg Broytmann:
[.part of standard library vs installing modules, installation can be
difficult, etc]

The distutils SIG at http://www.python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/ is trying
to make the cross platform distribution of Python modules (both Python
and C extensions) and programs less of a hassle. You could browse over,
subscribe to the list, and help out if you're interested in these
matters.

Regards,

Martijn
mxDateTime in Python distribution [ In reply to ]
I agree with the original poster. mxDateTime is *essential* and should be
intergrated into Python. I don't even care about all the nice features and
functions of mxDateTime; it's just completely insane being stuck with the C
library's unix epoch limitation... ouch.

And it's VERY necessary for the DBAPI as well...