underscore). "Underscore underscore" and "double underscore" are kind
of long. Somthing like "splat"? Anyone?

Pat
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
In article <3D934C5C.4000603@mxm.dk>, "Max M" <maxm@mxm.dk> wrote:

> Pat Notz wrote:
>> @ = "at"
>> ! = "bang"
>> . = "dot"
>> * = "star"
>>
>> Is there a short (one or two syllable) pronounciation for "__" (double
>> underscore). "Underscore underscore" and "double underscore" are kind
>> of long. Somthing like "splat"? Anyone?
>
> _ = 'under'
>
> __ = 'under-under'

How about "underder"??

--
Jay O'Connor
joconnor@cybermesa.com
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
Pat Notz wrote:
> @ = "at"
> ! = "bang"
> . = "dot"
> * = "star"
>
> Is there a short (one or two syllable) pronounciation for "__" (double
> underscore). "Underscore underscore" and "double underscore" are kind
> of long. Somthing like "splat"? Anyone?

_ = 'under'

__ = 'under-under'

regards Max M

The reason I don't reach any higher is that I stand on the shoulders of
midgets.
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
"Jay O'Connor" <joconnor@cybermesa.com> writes:
> In article <3D934C5C.4000603@mxm.dk>, "Max M" <maxm@mxm.dk> wrote:
>
> > Pat Notz wrote:
> >> @ = "at"
> >> ! = "bang"
> >> . = "dot"
> >> * = "star"
> >>
> >> Is there a short (one or two syllable) pronounciation for "__" (double
> >> underscore). "Underscore underscore" and "double underscore" are kind
> >> of long. Somthing like "splat"? Anyone?
> >
> > _ = 'under'
> >
> > __ = 'under-under'
>

> How about "underder"??

How about "dunder" (double under)?

Yes, but what if it were a parrot?
- Graham Chapman, to John Cleese
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
"Jay O'Connor" <joconnor@cybermesa.com> wrote:

> How about "underder"??

Or maybe "dunder"?

-tim
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
On 26 Sep 2002 10:56:45 -0700
pknotz@sandia.gov (Pat Notz) wrote:

> @ = "at"
> ! = "bang"
> . = "dot"
> * = "star"
>
> Is there a short (one or two syllable) pronounciation for "__" (double
> underscore). "Underscore underscore" and "double underscore" are kind
> of long. Somthing like "splat"? Anyone?

How about:

_ = "un"
__ = "dun"

Chris Kassopulo
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
Chris Kassopulo <ckasso@sprynet.com> writes:

> How about:
>
> _ = "un"
> __ = "dun"

"dun-init-dun"? Sounds too much like "done" for me... :-)
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
In article <525eaba.0209260956.72bf6786@posting.google.com>, Pat Notz wrote:
> @ = "at"
> ! = "bang"
> . = "dot"
> * = "star"
>
> Is there a short (one or two syllable) pronounciation for "__" (double
> underscore). "Underscore underscore" and "double underscore" are kind
> of long. Somthing like "splat"? Anyone?

I've heard "splat" used for both '#' and '*', so I'd cross it
off the list...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Sign my PETITION.
at
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
>=20
> In article <525eaba.0209260956.72bf6786@posting.google.com>,=20
> Pat Notz wrote:
> > @ =3D "at"
> > ! =3D "bang"
> > . =3D "dot"
> > * =3D "star"
> >=20
> > Is there a short (one or two syllable) pronounciation for=20
> > "__" (double underscore). "Underscore underscore" and "double=20
> > underscore" are kind of long. Somthing like "splat"? Anyone?
>=20
> I've heard "splat" used for both '#' and '*', so I'd cross it
> off the list...
>=20
> --=20
> Grant Edwards grante Yow! Sign=20
> my PETITION.
> at =20
> visi.com =20

Hmmm.. how about a "squish"?

-gus

Advertencia:=20
La informacion contenida en este mensaje es confidencial y restringida =
esta destinada unicamente para el uso de la persona arriba indicada, =
Esta
comunicacion representa la opinion personal del remitente y no refleja
necesariamente la opinion de la Compa=F1ia. Se le notifica que esta
estrictamente prohibida cualquier difusion, distribucion o copia de =
este
mensaje. Si ha recibido esta comunicacion o copia de este mensaje por =
error,
o si hay problemas en la transmision, favor de comunicarse con el =
remitente.

Todo el correo electr=F3nico enviado para o desde esta direcci=F3n =
ser=E1
procesado por el sistema de correo corporativo de HEB. Tal correo
electr=F3nico esta sujeto a ser almacenado y puede ser revisado por =
alguien
ajeno al recipiente autorizado con el prop=F3sito de monitorear que se =
cumplan
las normas de seguridad de la empresa.
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
On 26 Sep 2002 22:59:19 +0200
Henrik Motakef <henrik.motakef@web.de> wrote:

> Chris Kassopulo <ckasso@sprynet.com> writes:
>
> > How about:
> >
> > _ = "un"
> > __ = "dun"
>
> "dun-init-dun"? Sounds too much like "done" for me... :-)

Then how about:

_ = "unce" (rhymes with)
__ = "dunce"

dunce-init-dunce has a nice ring to it. no? :-)
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
Pat Notz wrote:

> Is there a short (one or two syllable) pronounciation for "__" (double
> underscore).

How about

_ == "uh"

__ == "uuuh"

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
In article <525eaba.0209260956.72bf6786@posting.google.com>,
pknotz@sandia.gov (Pat Notz) wrote:

> Is there a short (one or two syllable) pronounciation for "__" (double
> underscore).

Unfortunately, we can never have the definitive answer, since Victor
Borge is no longer with us.

(His answer would have been unspellable, of course.)

--John
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
On 26 Sep 2002, Mark Jackson wrote:

> > > _ = 'under'
> > >
> > > __ = 'under-under'
> >

> > How about "underder"??
>
> How about "dunder" (double under)?

How about "score" and "scorescore"?
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]

@ = "at"
! = "bang"
. = "dot"
* = "star"

Pat> Is there a short (one or two syllable) pronounciation for
Pat> "__" (double underscore). "Underscore underscore" and
Pat> "double underscore" are kind of long. Somthing like "splat"?
Pat> Anyone?

"Skid"
It's a skid mark!

--
Keith.
[Debian Woody & Python 2.1.3]
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
brueckd@tbye.com writes:

> > > How about "underder"??
> >
> > How about "dunder" (double under)?
>
> How about "score" and "scorescore"?

That would make __seven__ "Gettysburg"!

How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
Chris Kassopulo <ckasso@sprynet.com> writes:

> On 26 Sep 2002 10:56:45 -0700
> pknotz@sandia.gov (Pat Notz) wrote:
>
> > @ = "at"
> > ! = "bang"
> > . = "dot"
> > * = "star"

I'm for "George" and "Penelope"
--
Jason.

Hi, I'm Bob. I'm a tomato and I'm here to help you.
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
Tim Hochberg wrote:
> "Jay O'Connor" <joconnor@cybermesa.com> wrote:
>>How about "underder"??
>
> Or maybe "dunder"?

I think, you shouldn't use two words which sound very similar when spoken. If you
do this, you might run into problems when discussing code via voice (e. g.
telephone). I like "under" vs. "under-under" most: It's short enough and even
someone who hasn't heard it before, probably will guess what it means.

Stefan
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
Stefan Schwarzer <sschwarzer@sschwarzer.net> writes:

> Tim Hochberg wrote:
> > "Jay O'Connor" <joconnor@cybermesa.com> wrote:
> >>How about "underder"??
> >
> > Or maybe "dunder"?
>
> I think, you shouldn't use two words which sound very similar when
> spoken.

IRL, I tend not to speak __ at all, I just say "def init self...". For
the rare cases when I have to make a distinction between, say, __foo__
and foo, I use stuff like "special foo" for "__foo__", "private foo"
for "__foo" or "protected foo" for "_foo".

But that is usually followed by a remark that one should really invent
better names ASAP.
How do you pronounce "__" (double underscore)? [ In reply to ]
> Chris Kassopulo <ckasso@sprynet.com> writes:
>

>>On 26 Sep 2002 10:56:45 -0700
>>pknotz@sandia.gov (Pat Notz) wrote:
>>

>>>@ = "at"
>>>! = "bang"
>>>. = "dot"
>>>* = "star"

Well, since ! is not pronounced "exclamation", why should __ be
pronounced "underscore"? How about just a "sh" sound, since it kind of
means hidden?

"sh" init "sh" == __init__

or even

"sh" init == __init__