Mailing List Archive

Crappy Software was Re: [OffTopic: Netscape] Re: How should Python be evangelized?
>Er, that'd be the same Netscape that has such broken CSS that it is
>absolutely unuseable?

While I understand that Netscape's CSS implementation is not the best, I
have to take an opposing view as to it not being usable. Netscape's CSS is
more than adequate for the vast majority of the web sites out there. They
provide my web sites with a good, professional appearance under both
Netscape and MSIE.

>Myself, I prefer Opera; at least it meets standards. MSIE runs a close
>second these days. Netscape is horrendously buggy.

And Mozilla will decimate MSIE. The trick, of course, is them actually
releasing it as a finished product. :-)

However, when I actually see Opera for Linux, I'll be sure to give it a
shot. I've used Opera for Windows, and was only mildly impressed. It was a
blazingly fast web browser, but it didn't have the feature set that MSIE had
at the time. A lot has changed since then, I know -- which is why I'm
willing to give it another shot.

As a matter of fact, I'll go an download the latest release right now...
:-)

(I'll be REALLY happy when they port Opera to AmigaOS 5.)
Crappy Software was Re: [OffTopic: Netscape] Re: How should Python be evangelized? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 5 Apr 1999 12:15:17 -0700, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
>>Er, that'd be the same Netscape that has such broken CSS that it is
>>absolutely unuseable?

>While I understand that Netscape's CSS implementation is not the best, I
>have to take an opposing view as to it not being usable. Netscape's CSS is
>more than adequate for the vast majority of the web sites out there. They
>provide my web sites with a good, professional appearance under both
>Netscape and MSIE.

I understand what you mean -- we have to design for what's out there, not
what we wish was out there. Nevertheless, Netscape is so broken that it
will *crash* on certain CSS inputs. Not render them wrong, crash. Thud.

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"

>>Myself, I prefer Opera; at least it meets standards. MSIE runs a close
>>second these days. Netscape is horrendously buggy.

>And Mozilla will decimate MSIE. The trick, of course, is them actually
>releasing it as a finished product. :-)

I have EVERY hope that this will happen. (Please please please...)

And it'll be using Python, too. (Right?)

>However, when I actually see Opera for Linux, I'll be sure to give it a
>shot. I've used Opera for Windows, and was only mildly impressed. It was a
>blazingly fast web browser, but it didn't have the feature set that MSIE had
>at the time. A lot has changed since then, I know -- which is why I'm
>willing to give it another shot.

The one reason I like Opera (I'm not using it now because I'm a cheapskate):
it fully and nearly correctly supports the keyboard. Oh, it's CSS is better
than anything else, but like you said I don't code for the best, I code for
_everything_.

>(I'll be REALLY happy when they port Opera to AmigaOS 5.)

Hmm, would that be because of Opera or because of AmigaOS 5? (The current
version is OS 4.)

Are there many Amiga Python users out there?

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley
"But you shall not escape my iambics."
Crappy Software was Re: [OffTopic: Netscape] Re: How should Python be evangelized? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 06 Apr 1999 04:40:22 GMT, wtanksle@dolphin.openprojects.net
(William Tanksley) wrote:

>The one reason I like Opera (I'm not using it now because I'm a cheapskate):
>it fully and nearly correctly supports the keyboard. Oh, it's CSS is better
>than anything else, but like you said I don't code for the best, I code for
>_everything_.

Just FYI, I purchased Opera as a student and paid only $18 for it. And
if you *really* want to see IE lose, your best bet is to put your
money where your mouth is. Opera has a chance to dethrone IE.

John
Crappy Software was Re: [OffTopic: Netscape] Re: How should Python be evangelized? [ In reply to ]
And another kick at Netscape:

Jamie Z, pretty much the alpha geek programmer at Netscape, has resigned.

And in his words: "...I strongly believed that Netscape was no longer
capable of shipping products. ... Netscape was shipping garbage, and
shipping it late. And daring move or no, this was not going to change:
Netscape no longer had the talent, either in engineering or management, to
ship quality products. The magic was gone, as the magicians had either
moved on to more compelling companies, or were having their voices lost in
the din of the crowd, swamped by the mediocrity around them. The Netscape I
cared about was dead."

The Web Standards Organization has this to say: "We do not plan on
reviewing any Netscape browsers.... Netscape does not claim that
Communicator 4.0 or 4.5 is CSS compliant. Trying to list the important bugs
would be an exercise in writing long documents, one we do not have the
patience to do. Running Netscape 4.x through the tests we use... will
provide a clear demonstration of Netscape's current shortcomings to anyone
who doubts them. Of about 40 test pages in those two reviews, there are
only two that don't demonstrate problems in Netscape Communicator (and we
weren't even looking for bugs in Netscape Communicator when we wrote those
tests)."

--
MSpeak: in-no-va-tion, n. 1. extending or modifying
existing standards in undocumented ways. 2. creating