Mailing List Archive

Feature Request: Adding Way to Annotate Class Variables Distinct from Instance Variables
Hello folks, I am Chihiro, a.k.a. Frodo821, and this is my first post to this group.

I searched for a way to annotate both class variables and instance variables with different types and concluded that there is currently no way to do this.

For example, what I want to:
```
class Foo:
variable_both_class_and_instance = Field(desc="descriptive string")

def __init__(self, value: int):
self.variable_both_class_and_instance = value

assert isinstance(Foo.variable_both_class_and_instance, Field)
assert isinstance(Foo().variable_both_class_and_instance, int)
```

In this example, I want to annotate `Foo.variable_both_class_and_instance` with `Field` when it is accessed as a class variable. On the other hand, I want to annotate `Foo.variable_both_class_and_instance` with `int` when it is accessed as an instance variable.

I don't have any smart ideas to accomplish this, but I think `typing.ClassVar` could be extended this like:

```
class Foo:
variable_both_class_and_instance: Union[ClassVar[Field], int] = Field(desc="descriptive string")

def __init__(self, value: int):
self.variable_both_class_and_instance = value

assert isinstance(Foo.variable_both_class_and_instance, Field)
assert isinstance(Foo().variable_both_class_and_instance, int)
```

Do you have any ideas or comments about this?
Re: Feature Request: Adding Way to Annotate Class Variables Distinct from Instance Variables [ In reply to ]
Well, the first comment is that this isn't really the best list to ask such
questions on, since it was created for the Python developers to discuss the
development of the language and its implementation. Further, such
discussions nowadays take place on discuss.python.org, and you can find
more information at https://www.python.org/community/lists/.

However, I simplified your program a little, and would observe that the
following program raises no AssertionErrors under Python 3.10 and 3.11.

class Foo:
variable_both_class_and_instance: str | int = "descriptive string"

def __init__(self, value: int):
assert isinstance(self.variable_both_class_and_instance, str)
self.variable_both_class_and_instance = value
assert isinstance(self.variable_both_class_and_instance, int)

assert isinstance(Foo.variable_both_class_and_instance, str)
assert isinstance(Foo(42).variable_both_class_and_instance, int)

Union is now outdated, since we can use alternation (|) to offer
alternative types.

It's therefore not obvious to me from your email why ClassVar would need
any modification, or even why it needs to be used in your example. Perhaps
I've missed your point?

Kind regards,
Steve

Re: Feature Request: Adding Way to Annotate Class Variables Distinct from Instance Variables [ In reply to ]
First: this is Python-dev, which is not really the best palce for this kind
of question. I'd try:

https://discuss.python.org/

Though interestingly, I don't see a Typing topic --maybe I missed it.

Or this list:
https://mail.python.org/archives/list/typing-sig@python.org/

But a couple thoughts:

1) I'm a bit confused -- you haven't done a type annotation for the class
variable, only for the method argument. So not sure what you really intend
here.

2) isinstance() checks run-time types -- it has nothing to do with type
annotations.

So I'm not totally clear on what you want here.

But from your description, it sounds like you want to annotate the type of
a class attribute and and an instance attribute with two different types. I
have no idea if that's possible, but it does seem tobe be a "bad idea" --
and contrary to the goal of static typing.

Annotating the type of a class attribute is setting it for instance
attributes as well -- and that is intended behavior.

HTH,

-CHB

On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 8:17 AM <sakaic2003@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello folks, I am Chihiro, a.k.a. Frodo821, and this is my first post to
> this group.
>
> I searched for a way to annotate both class variables and instance
> variables with different types and concluded that there is currently no way
> to do this.
>
> For example, what I want to:
> ```
> class Foo:
> variable_both_class_and_instance = Field(desc="descriptive string")
>
> def __init__(self, value: int):
> self.variable_both_class_and_instance = value
>
> assert isinstance(Foo.variable_both_class_and_instance, Field)
> assert isinstance(Foo().variable_both_class_and_instance, int)
> ```
>
> In this example, I want to annotate `Foo.variable_both_class_and_instance`
> with `Field` when it is accessed as a class variable. On the other hand, I
> want to annotate `Foo.variable_both_class_and_instance` with `int` when it
> is accessed as an instance variable.
>
> I don't have any smart ideas to accomplish this, but I think
> `typing.ClassVar` could be extended this like:
>
> ```
> class Foo:
> variable_both_class_and_instance: Union[ClassVar[Field], int] =
> Field(desc="descriptive string")
>
> def __init__(self, value: int):
> self.variable_both_class_and_instance = value
>
> assert isinstance(Foo.variable_both_class_and_instance, Field)
> assert isinstance(Foo().variable_both_class_and_instance, int)
> ```
>
> Do you have any ideas or comments about this?
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/7XFIE6YGRGO3XKCR7MZGDN6CCGUNN6MR/

Christopher Barker, PhD (Chris)

Python Language Consulting
- Teaching
- Scientific Software Development
- Desktop GUI and Web Development
- wxPython, numpy, scipy, Cython
Re: Feature Request: Adding Way to Annotate Class Variables Distinct from Instance Variables [ In reply to ]
OK, I missed out on typing-sig@python.org, and now I know this thread is off-topic on python-dev@python.org.

A bit more clear example of what I want to do is:

```
class Field:
def __init__(self, desc: str) -> None:
self.desc = desc

class FooMetaType:
variable_both_class_and_instance: Field

def __call__(self, value: int) -> 'Foo':

class Foo:
variable_both_class_and_instance: int

def __init__(self, value: int) -> None:
self.variable_both_class_and_instance = value

Foo: FooMetaType
Foo.variable_both_class_and_instance = Field(desc="descriptive string")

instance = Foo(5)

print(instance.variable_both_class_and_instance)
```

Static typing on this example doesn't work correctly as expected because it does not allow overwriting another type over a class declaration.

My point on the example is the tangible value should be assigned to the instance variables. Still, on the other hand, I want to give a value denoting the variable's metadata to the class variable. From my understanding, these variables, like this `variable_both_class_and_instance` in the example, cannot be correctly typed.

Thank you for your kindness, I'll repost it to typing-sig@python.org.