If `include_hidden` is true, the patterns '*', '?', '**' will
match hidden
directories.

Doc/library/glob.rst:

If *include_hidden* is true, "``**``" pattern will match hidden
directories.

,,, with no mention of the other patterns.

Is that just an omission in the rst doc?

Re: glob's new include_hidden parameter [ In reply to ]
I think it's wrong in the docs. From looking at the code, that flag applies
to all patterns, not just to `**`. (and "hidden" just means "begins with a
dot")

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 9:04 AM Mats Wichmann <mats@wichmann.us> wrote:

> Just spotted that 3.11 adds an include_hidden. At the moment a little
> confused because there's an apparent mismatch between docstring and docs.
>
> Lib/glob.py:
>
> If `include_hidden` is true, the patterns '*', '?', '**' will
> match hidden
> directories.
>

> Doc/library/glob.rst:
>
> If *include_hidden* is true, "``**``" pattern will match hidden
> directories.
>
> ,,, with no mention of the other patterns.
>
> Is that just an omission in the rst doc?

> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/QVZJAHFOHTNKNE72X7RGICBEROMSCG5R/

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*
<http://feministing.com/2015/02/03/how-using-they-as-a-singular-pronoun-can-change-the-world/>
Re: glob's new include_hidden parameter [ In reply to ]
On 9/12/22, Mats Wichmann <mats@wichmann.us> wrote:

> If `include_hidden` is true, the patterns '*', '?', '**' will
> match hidden directories.

Shouldn't this explain what a "hidden directory" is? For example, a
Windows user may think this means a directory with
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_HIDDEN set, but that's not what's meant here. Also, I
think it should note that enabling include_hidden negates the earlier
claim that "files beginning with a dot (.) can only be matched by
patterns that also start with a dot". For example, glob.glob('*',
include_hidden=True) includes all of the conventionally hidden
directories and hidden files in the current directory.
Re: glob's new include_hidden parameter [ In reply to ]
On 9/12/22 19:48, Eryk Sun wrote:
> On 9/12/22, Mats Wichmann <mats@wichmann.us> wrote:
>>
>> If `include_hidden` is true, the patterns '*', '?', '**' will
>> match hidden directories.
>
> Shouldn't this explain what a "hidden directory" is? For example, a
> Windows user may think this means a directory with
> FILE_ATTRIBUTE_HIDDEN set, but that's not what's meant here. Also, I
> think it should note that enabling include_hidden negates the earlier
> claim that "files beginning with a dot (.) can only be matched by
> patterns that also start with a dot". For example, glob.glob('*',
> include_hidden=True) includes all of the conventionally hidden
> directories and hidden files in the current directory.

sounds like a good point to me.