Mailing List Archive

New `python` Organization Repository Policy
(Cross-posted from
https://discuss.python.org/t/new-python-organization-repository-policy/17376
– please perfer commenting there.)

Hello,

When asked about adding the typing_extensions repository to the Python
organization (https://github.com/python/steering-council/issues/126),
the Steering Council discussed a general policy for the organization, as
the current one
(https://devguide.python.org/devcycle/#organization-repository-policy)
seems outdated.

We decided on the guidelines below.

Note that existing repositories can stay under python. However, we will
ask that:
– PSF infrastructure be moved under the psf organization, and
– all repositories under python will need to require the CLA and have
two-factor authentication for all committers, otherwise move elsewhere
or be archived.

– Petr, on behalf of the Steering Council

New Organization Repository Policy

Within the GitHub Python organization, repositories are expected to
relate to the Python language, the CPython reference implementation,
their documentation and their development workflow. This includes, for
example:
- The reference implementation of Python and related repositories (i.e.
CPython)
- Tooling and support around CPython development (e.g. pyperformance,
Bedevere)
- Helpers and backports for Python/CPython features (e.g.
typing-extensions, typeshed, tzdata, pythoncapi-compat)
- Organization-related repositories (e.g. the Code of Conduct, .github)
- Documentation and websites for all the above (e.g. python.org
repository, PEPs, Devguide, docs translations)
- Infrastructure for all the above (e.g. docsbuild-scripts,
buildmaster-config)
- Discussions and notes around official development-related processes
and events (e.g. steering-council, core-sprint)

Before adding a new repository, permission should be sought from the
Python steering council. Note that several repositories remain in the
organization for historic reasons, and would probably not be appropriate
today.

All non-archived repositories must require contributors to sign the PSF
Contributor Agreement.

Generally, new repositories should start their life under personal
GitHub accounts or other GitHub orgs. It is relatively easy to move a
repository to the organization once it is mature. For example, this
would now apply to experimental features like asyncio, exceptiongroups
or typed_ast and drafts of new guides and other documentation (e.g.
redistributor-guide).

General-use tools and libraries (e.g. mypy or black) should also be
developed outside the python organization, unless core devs (as
represented by the SC) specifically want to “bless” one implementation
(as with e.g. typeshed, tzdata, or pythoncapi-compat).
Re: New `python` Organization Repository Policy [ In reply to ]
I understand that the steering council decides new repositories that can be
added to the Python organization but as a committer, it is good courtesy
that public decisions are discussed first on committer channels because
this impacts allow us to a degree I.e you are some how responsible for that
code too. Atleast I get notifications for all repositories.

Re: New `python` Organization Repository Policy [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 4:54 AM Joannah Nanjekye <nanjekyejoannah@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I understand that the steering council decides new repositories that can
> be added to the Python organization but as a committer, it is good courtesy
> that public decisions are discussed first on committer channels because
> this impacts allow us to a degree I.e you are some how responsible for that
> code too.

I think that's fair. I opened
https://github.com/python/steering-council/issues/132 to discuss it.
Obviously if people have opinions on this, please share them here.

-Brett