Mailing List Archive

[RELEASE] The first Python 3.11 beta (3.11.0b1) is available - Feature freeze is here
We did it, team!! After quite a bumpy release process and a bunch of
last-time fixes, we have reached **beta 1** and **feature freeze**. What a
ride eh? You can get the shiny new release artefacts from here:

https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-3110b1/

## This is a beta preview of Python 3.11

Python 3.11 is still in development. 3.11.0b1 is the first of four planned
beta release previews. Beta release previews are intended to give the wider
community the opportunity to test new features and bug fixes and to prepare
their projects to support the new feature release.

We **strongly encourage** maintainers of third-party Python projects to
**test with 3.11** during the beta phase and report issues found to [the
Python bug tracker](https://bugs.python.org) as soon as possible. While
the release is planned to be feature complete entering the beta phase, it
is possible that features may be modified or, in rare cases, deleted up
until the start of the release candidate phase (Monday, 2021-08-02). Our
goal is to have no ABI changes after beta 4 and as few code changes as
possible after 3.11.0rc1, the first release candidate. To achieve that, it
will be **extremely important** to get as much exposure for 3.11 as
possible during the beta phase.

Please keep in mind that this is a preview release and its use is **not**
recommended for production environments.

# Major new features of the 3.11 series, compared to 3.10

Python 3.11 is still in development. This release, 3.11.0b1 is the
**first** of four beta releases.
Beta release previews are intended to give the wider community the
opportunity to test new features and bug fixes and to prepare their
projects to support the new feature release.

Many new features for Python 3.11 are still being planned and written.
Among the new major new features and changes so far:

* [PEP 657](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0657/) -- Include
Fine-Grained Error Locations in Tracebacks
* [PEP 654](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0654/) -- Exception Groups
and except*
* [PEP 673](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0673/) -- Self Type
* [PEP 646](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0646/)-- Variadic Generics
* [PEP 680](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0680/)-- tomllib: Support
for Parsing TOML in the Standard Library
* [PEP 675](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0675/)-- Arbitrary Literal
String Type
* [PEP 655](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0655/)-- Marking individual
TypedDict items as required or potentially-missing
* [bpo-46752](https://bugs.python.org/issue46752)-- Introduce task groups
to asyncio
* The Faster Cpython Project <https://github.com/faster-cpython> is already
yielding some exciting results. Python 3.11 is up to 10-60% faster than
Python 3.10. On average, we measured a 1.22x speedup on the standard
benchmark suite. See Faster CPython
<https://docs.python.org/3.11/whatsnew/3.11.html#faster-cpython>for details.
* Hey, **fellow core developer,** if a feature you find important is
missing from this list, let me know.

The next pre-release of Python 3.11 will be 3.11.0b2, currently scheduled
for Monday, 2022-05-30.

# More resources

* [Online Documentation](https://docs.python.org/3.11/)
* [PEP 664](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0664/), 3.11 Release
Schedule
* Report bugs at [https://bugs.python.org](https://bugs.python.org).
* [Help fund Python and its community](/psf/donations/).

# And now for something completely different

The holographic principle is a tenet of string theories and a supposed
property of quantum gravity that states that the description of a volume of
space can be thought of as encoded on a lower-dimensional boundary to the
region—such as a light-like boundary like a gravitational horizon. First
proposed by Gerard 't Hooft, it was given a precise string-theory
interpretation by Leonard Susskind, who combined his ideas with previous
ones of 't Hooft and Charles Thorn.[ Leonard Susskind said, “The
three-dimensional world of ordinary experience––the universe filled with
galaxies, stars, planets, houses, boulders, and people––is a hologram, an
image of reality cited on a distant two-dimensional (2D) surface." As
pointed out by Raphael Bousso, Thorn observed in 1978 that string theory
admits a lower-dimensional description in which gravity emerges from it in
what would now be called a holographic way.

The holographic principle was inspired by black hole thermodynamics, which
conjectures that the maximal entropy in any region scales with the radius
squared, and not cubed as might be expected. In the case of a black hole,
the insight was that the informational content of all the objects that have
fallen into the hole might be entirely contained in surface fluctuations of
the event horizon. The holographic principle resolves the black hole
information paradox within the framework of string theory. However, there
exist classical solutions to the Einstein equations that allow values of
the entropy larger than those allowed by an area law, hence in principle
larger than those of a black hole. These are the so-called "Wheeler's bags
of gold". The existence of such solutions conflicts with the holographic
interpretation, and their effects in a quantum theory of gravity including
the holographic principle are not fully understood yet.

# We hope you enjoy the new releases!

Thanks to all of the many volunteers who help make Python Development and
these releases possible! Please consider supporting our efforts by
volunteering yourself or through organization contributions to the Python
Software Foundation.

https://www.python.org/psf/

Regards from chilly London,
Your friendly release team,
Pablo Galindo Salgado
Re: [RELEASE] The first Python 3.11 beta (3.11.0b1) is available - Feature freeze is here [ In reply to ]
Done in all places that I can edit! Thanks for the catch :)

Re: [RELEASE] The first Python 3.11 beta (3.11.0b1) is available - Feature freeze is here [ In reply to ]
On 2022-05-08 04:22, Pablo Galindo Salgado wrote:
> [...]
> Error Locations in Tracebacks
> * [PEP 654](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0654/
> <https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0654/>) -- Exception Groups and except*
> * [PEP 673](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0673/
> <https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0673/>)  -- Self Type
> * [PEP 646](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0646/)
> <https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0646/)>-- Variadic Generics
> * [PEP 680](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0680/
> <https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0680/>)-- tomllib: Support for
> Parsing TOML in the Standard Library
> * [PEP 675](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0675/)
> <https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0675/)>-- Arbitrary Literal String Type
> * [PEP 655](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0655/
> <https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0655/>)-- Marking individual
> TypedDict items as required or potentially-missing

FYI, 2 of these PEP links are missing/wrong:

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0646/ (Variadic Generics) is at
https://peps.python.org/pep-0646/

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0675/ (Arbitrary Literal String
Type) is at https://peps.python.org/pep-0675/
Re: [RELEASE] The first Python 3.11 beta (3.11.0b1) is available - Feature freeze is here [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the heads up. Technically the links are not wrong, the problem
is that the closing ) is incorrectly part of the link in this mail (is
correct everywhere els), so it doesn't work. I will correct this in future
announcements.

Re: [RELEASE] The first Python 3.11 beta (3.11.0b1) is available - Feature freeze is here [ In reply to ]
On 5/7/22 21:22, Pablo Galindo Salgado wrote:

> We **strongly encourage** maintainers of third-party Python projects to
> **test with 3.11** during the beta phase and report issues found to [the
> Python bug tracker](https://bugs.python.org <https://bugs.python.org>)
> as soon as possible.

Seems like this bit of the template needs an upgrade -> github?

Re: [RELEASE] The first Python 3.11 beta (3.11.0b1) is available - Feature freeze is here [ In reply to ]
I have updated it a while ago but it may take some time for the CDN to drop
the cache. Thanks for heads up!