Mailing List Archive

Can I ask a real dumb procedural question about GitHub email?
I subscribe to the python/cpython stuff on GitHub. I find it basically
impossible to follow because of the volume. I realize there are
probably plenty of extra changes going in based on the recent language
summit (and maybe some sprints at PyCon?) as well as the proximity to
the beta 1 freeze. Still, does anyone actually try to follow
everything that comes out of that firehose? I've received updates to
about 125 new GMail conversations (more total messages than that) in
the last 24 hours, and that's after using filters to delete
Miss-Islington-type messages altogether. As far as I can quickly
ascertain, all the messages are from real people, not bots.

How (if at all) do people deal with this firehose of email? Am I the
only person dumb enough to have tried? I used to scan for
csv-module-related messages, but don't even try to do that now. My
only real reason for continuing to subscribe is that it feeds into a
process that updates a dictionary of "common" words used by my
XKCD-936-derived password generator.

Thx,

Skip
Re: Can I ask a real dumb procedural question about GitHub email? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 11:26 AM Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I subscribe to the python/cpython stuff on GitHub. I find it basically
> impossible to follow because of the volume. I realize there are
> probably plenty of extra changes going in based on the recent language
> summit (and maybe some sprints at PyCon?) as well as the proximity to
> the beta 1 freeze. Still, does anyone actually try to follow
> everything that comes out of that firehose? I've received updates to
> about 125 new GMail conversations (more total messages than that) in
> the last 24 hours, and that's after using filters to delete
> Miss-Islington-type messages altogether. As far as I can quickly
> ascertain, all the messages are from real people, not bots.
>
> How (if at all) do people deal with this firehose of email? Am I the
> only person dumb enough to have tried?

If no one replies, then you might be the only brave soul trying. ???? I
stopped years ago even under bpo.

-Brett

Re: Can I ask a real dumb procedural question about GitHub email? [ In reply to ]
[Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@gmail.com>]
> I subscribe to the python/cpython stuff on GitHub. I find it basically
> impossible to follow because of the volume.
> How (if at all) do people deal with this firehose of email? Am I the
> only person dumb enough to have tried?

My observation is that, over time, all sources of email strive to
enlist the aid of every electron in the universe to transform all of
creation into more copies of its output, directed to my gmail account.

I gave up. These days, if Google doesn't put something in the
"priority" section of my gmail inbox, chances are the only thing I'll
see of it is a fraction-of-a-second glance at the subject line as I
check the "select all" box, on page after page, before deleting it.
That gets done every day almost as often as clicking on "report spam
and unsubscribe".

I fondly remember the days when email volume was merely unbearable ;-)
Re: Can I ask a real dumb procedural question about GitHub email? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 4 May 2022 at 12:30, Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@gmail.com>
wrote:

> How (if at all) do people deal with this firehose of email?

I’ve disabled _all_ email notifications both on GitHub and Discourse. I
actively visit the GitHub Notification page when I want to see what’s on on
GitHub. Ditto for Discourse. This makes my life a lot easier, and I receive
fewer pings. (Those two are actually the same; it’s just different
wordings.) I don’t need more pings; I need a convenient UI that shows me
what I want, when I want it.

Another really nice thing with this is that the notifications are
_grouped_, both in the GitHub UI and the Discourse UI. I see one blue dot
for each PR or each thread. I know you get threads in email clients as
well, but I prefer the web UIs.

My 2 cents (or 2 øre if you’re in my home town)

Erlend

Re: Can I ask a real dumb procedural question about GitHub email? [ In reply to ]
Every day, I unsubscribe from many issues and pull requests to reduce
the number of emails to move it below my acceptable threshold. For
example, for me, 20 new discussions per day is acceptable, whereas 100
is not.

I prefer to focus on small number of things and follow them closely.

Victor