Mailing List Archive

SC Acceptance: PEP 646 -- Variadic Generics
Hello Mark, Matthew, Pradeep, Vincent, and Guido,

The Python Steering Council discussed the latest version of PEP 646 (Variadic Generics) at our last meeting, and have unanimously decided to accept the PEP. Congratulations!

We want to specifically mention that we appreciate the way you called out the Python grammar changes required by the typing features you proposed. As we’ve said before, the Steering Council strongly believes that the typing language and the “general” Python programming language should remain aligned, so the implications of syntax change proposed in the PEP for typing needed to be addressed for non-typed Python as well. The PEP explains this change well, and does a good job of justifying the semantics and usefulness of the change for non-type related purposes.

Please feel free to change the PEP status to Accepted, and to merge your changes to Python 3.11 at your convenience.

With our appreciation,
-Barry (on behalf of the Python Steering Council)

Re: SC Acceptance: PEP 646 -- Variadic Generics [ In reply to ]
Hi Barry,

Absolutely fantastic - thank you for letting us know! As Guido says,
there's one final thing that we thought would be easy to resolve but has
actually turned out to be a little tricky. Happy to proceed as you think is
best here.

Matthew

Re: SC Acceptance: PEP 646 -- Variadic Generics [ In reply to ]
I put the PEP back on our agenda to discuss this.

Re: SC Acceptance: PEP 646 -- Variadic Generics [ In reply to ]
Thanks, Brett. We'll notify you once we've resolved the issue.