Dear Python Developers,
I have found that default IDLE can't open .py files on double click and
IDLE isn't shown in "Open with" menu. I have solved this problem by
converting idle.bat in \lib\idlelibs\ into .exe file.
If you are interested in my help, you can learn more in my GitHub repo -
https://github.com/MatroCholo/idle2exe
Thanks for your extremely helpful attention to this matter.
Yours faithfully, MatroCholo
Re: My help with yours IDLE [ In reply to ]
On 6/7/2021 12:20 PM, MatroCholo wrote:
> Dear Python Developers,
> I have found that default IDLE can't open .py files on double click

After installing with the python.org Windows installer, double-clicking
x.py should run x.py with the default python. It does for me. The file
should be designed for this to make much sense.

> and IDLE isn't shown in "Open with" menu.

It should be shown in the Edit with IDLE menu. For me, 3.10 is, 3.9 is
not. There might be a tracker issue for this. IDLE is a development
and learning environment, so running from the editor is usually the best
way to run in Python.

> I have solved this problem by
> converting idle.bat in \lib\idlelibs\ into .exe file.

The fact that one can only 'open' (run) with a .exe and not a .bat file
has come up on a bugs.python.org tracker issue.

> If you are interested in my help, you can learn more in my GitHub repo -
> https://github.com/MatroCholo/idle2exe

I don't read Russian, so the readme is not useful to me.

If you want to discuss IDLE development more, in English, post on the
idle-dev mailing list.

--
Terry Jan Reedy