https://sourceforge.net/p/python/mailman/python-iterators/ but the
project mailing list archives are marked as "hidden".

Looks like projects admin and developers can get the "hidden link", but
I think it would be nice to "unhide" the archives if someone is still
admin there and if it's possible, to "unbreak" the link from the PEP.

Bests,
--
[Julien Palard](https://mdk.fr)

Re: python-iterators mailing list on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
I doubt that anyone has the keys to the python project on sourceforge any
more... :-( We've abandoned that platform nearly two decades ago.

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 11:40 PM Julien Palard via Python-Dev <
python-dev@python.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> PEP 234 mention
> https://sourceforge.net/p/python/mailman/python-iterators/ but the
> project mailing list archives are marked as "hidden".
>
> Looks like projects admin and developers can get the "hidden link", but
> I think it would be nice to "unhide" the archives if someone is still
> admin there and if it's possible, to "unbreak" the link from the PEP.
>
> Bests,
> --
> [Julien Palard](https://mdk.fr)

> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/SN5RMHWBWKRRP5ZKONKERJY3VQODRZMT/

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*
<http://feministing.com/2015/02/03/how-using-they-as-a-singular-pronoun-can-change-the-world/>
Re: python-iterators mailing list on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
it might be possible to recover the account by contacting sfnet_ops@slashdotmedia.com
Re: python-iterators mailing list on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
On 11/05/2021 08:39, Julien Palard via Python-Dev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> PEP 234 mention
> https://sourceforge.net/p/python/mailman/python-iterators/ but the
> project mailing list archives are marked as "hidden".
>
> Looks like projects admin and developers can get the "hidden link", but
> I think it would be nice to "unhide" the archives if someone is still
> admin there and if it's possible, to "unbreak" the link from the PEP.

Hi Julien,

I set the mailing list to "closed" which means that the archive is again
available. However, it looks like only have messages from 2001-2003,
which consist of mostly spam.

Maybe web.archive.org has relevant content archived?

BTW, the linked yahoo list isn't available anymore either. Probably
best to remove/mark as unavailable the links in the PEP.

cheers,
Georg

Re: python-iterators mailing list on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
Le 5/11/21 à 8:39 PM, Guido van Rossum a écrit :
> I doubt that anyone has the keys to the python project on sourceforge
> any more... :-( We've abandoned that platform nearly two decades ago.

That's right…

Sourceforge staff mentionned there's the list of current admins here:

=> https://sourceforge.net/p/python/_members/

so if someone see its login there, you can try logging in and unhide the
mailing list, else I'll try to have sourceforge unhide it by hand.

--
[Julien Palard](https://mdk.fr)

Re: python-iterators mailing list on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 9:25 AM Julien Palard via Python-Dev <
python-dev@python.org> wrote:

> Le 5/11/21 à 8:39 PM, Guido van Rossum a écrit :
> > I doubt that anyone has the keys to the python project on sourceforge
> > any more... :-( We've abandoned that platform nearly two decades ago.
>

> That's right…
>
> Sourceforge staff mentionned there's the list of current admins here:
>
> => https://sourceforge.net/p/python/_members/

1Password to the rescue as I still have my keys! ????

> so if someone see its login there, you can try logging in and unhide the
> mailing list, else I'll try to have sourceforge unhide it by hand.

Is there something to do here? The python-iterators mailing list is already
marked as public.

-Brett

Re: python-iterators mailing list on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
Sorry, that was me. :-)

Re: python-iterators mailing list on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Le 5/25/21 à 9:18 PM, Brett Cannon a écrit :
> Is there something to do here? The python-iterators mailing list is
> already marked as public.

Looks like Guido is faster than you and set it public already. But looks
like the archives are corrupted or something, it's almost empty.

I sent a mail to SourceForge support but my hope is around 0. If it's
not fixed in a few months I'll just remove the links pointing to this
archive (there's some in the PEPs).

Thanks Brett and Guido,
--
[Julien Palard](https://mdk.fr)

Re: python-iterators mailing list on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
Some bad news about python-iterators@lists.sourceforge.net, looks like
sourceforge lost a huge part of the mailing list: they have 0 message
before Sep. 2001.

So I think I'll soon drop the link(s) refering to it in the PEPs.

--
[Julien Palard](https://mdk.fr)

Re: python-iterators mailing list on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
All right, I have changed the status to "hidden" (I'm not sure what that
means but I suspect that it's not listed but if you happen to have a link
you can see it). It looks like what's left of the archives is largely spam?

Feel free to send a PR that unlinks it from the PEP.

Re: python-iterators mailing list on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
Le 5/29/21 à 11:14 PM, Guido van Rossum a écrit :
> It looks like what's left of the archives is largely spam?

Yes.

SourceForge staff has manually hidden most spam on this list a few days
ago to help see better, but the interesting discussion is no longer here.

They checked in the mbox file on disk and found no more messages, and
they don't have a backup.

Web archive did not captured the mails on sourceforge neither, but
sourceforge support found a now disapeared archive of the list were
captured by web archive [1], but it contains only subject names, not
actual messages.

[1]:
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/9283/*
--
[Julien Palard](https://mdk.fr)

Re: python-iterators mailing list on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
What are you trying to get from the archives? It is *possible* that I have
a personal archive saved somewhere.

On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 02:39 Julien Palard <julien@palard.fr> wrote:

> Le 5/29/21 à 11:14 PM, Guido van Rossum a écrit :
> > It looks like what's left of the archives is largely spam?
>
> Yes.
>
> SourceForge staff has manually hidden most spam on this list a few days
> ago to help see better, but the interesting discussion is no longer here.
>
> They checked in the mbox file on disk and found no more messages, and
> they don't have a backup.
>
> Web archive did not captured the mails on sourceforge neither, but
> sourceforge support found a now disapeared archive of the list were
> captured by web archive [1], but it contains only subject names, not
> actual messages.
>
> [1]:
> https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/9283/*
> --
> [Julien Palard](https://mdk.fr)
>
> --
--Guido (mobile)
Re: python-iterators mailing list on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
Le 5/30/21 à 4:31 PM, Guido van Rossum a écrit :
> What are you trying to get from the archives? It is *possible* that I
> have a personal archive saved somewhere.

I'm not even sure I remember my initial question... But it could be:

> is the fact some things (like generators) give iterators instead of
> iterables as a hint they're not "rewindable" was initially thought
> of and part of the design, or it emerged later.

Then I went yak shaving...
--
[Julien Palard](https://mdk.fr)