Where is the SQLite module maintainer
Hi, everyone.

I'm trying to find a reviewer for this trivial PR: https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/20530
(The PR fixes CheckTraceCallbackContent (in the sqlite3 test suite) for SQLite pre 3.7.15.)

I've given up hunting for alternative reviewers (a process I find very uncomfortable, since I feel I'm just bugging people who have too much to do with things they're not interested in), so as a last resort, I'm trying the mailing list:

Who can help me review code that touches the sqlite3 module code base?

I've received a lot of constructive reviews from Victor Stinner, Dong-he Na and Pablo Galindo on my past sqlite3 PR's; thank you so much! I still feel uncomfortable requesting their review, as none of them are sqlite3 module maintainers.

Erlend
Re: Where is the SQLite module maintainer [ In reply to ]
On 27/12/2020 21.20, Erlend Aasland wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> I'm trying to find a reviewer for this trivial
> PR:?https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/20530
> <https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/20530>
> (The PR fixes /CheckTraceCallbackContent/?(in the sqlite3 test suite)
> for SQLite pre 3.7.15.)
>

> I've given up hunting for alternative reviewers (a process I find very
> uncomfortable, since I feel I'm just bugging people who have too much to
> do with things they're not interested in), so as a last resort, I'm
> trying the mailing list:
>
> Who can help me review code that touches the sqlite3 module code base?
>

> I've received a lot of constructive reviews from Victor Stinner, Dong-he
> Na and Pablo Galindo?on my past sqlite3 PR's; thank you so much! I still
> feel uncomfortable requesting their review, as none of them are sqlite3
> module maintainers.

Hi Erlend,

as far as I know we don't have an active module owner and maintainer any
more. Gerhard H?ring, the original author of pysqlite, is still listed
as expert. But he hasn't been active in many years. I haven't seen him
in quite some time, too.

How about you put your name in the expert index instead of him? :)

Christian

Re: Where is the SQLite module maintainer [ In reply to ]
Who can help me review code that touches the sqlite3 module code base?

as far as I know we don't have an active module owner and maintainer any
more.

What about Berker Peksag? He's at least listed as a code owner in .github/CODEOWNERS, but I rarely see him engaged in sqlite3 matters on GitHub and bpo. The last time I remember him discussing sqlite3 matters was seven months ago. (Just an observation; not critisism.)

Gerhard Häring, the original author of pysqlite, is still listed
as expert. But he hasn't been active in many years. I haven't seen him
in quite some time, too.

I think it's been five or so years since he last participated on bpo.

How about you put your name in the expert index instead of him? :)

Thanks for your confidence, but I'm far from an expert :)

Erlend
Re: Where is the SQLite module maintainer [ In reply to ]
On 12/28/2020 11:32 AM, Erlend Aasland wrote:
>> On 27 Dec 2020, at 22:38, Christian Heimes <christian@python.org
>> <mailto:christian@python.org>> wrote:
>> How about you put your name in the expert index instead of him? :)
>
> Thanks for your confidence, but I'm far from an expert :)

Neither is anyone else :)

I'm not looking to start any mentoring right now, but if someone else is
and you're interested, it should be easy to get you connected. I am more
than happy to endorse you as a good candidate for becoming our SQLite
expert.

Cheers,
Steve
Re: Where is the SQLite module maintainer [ In reply to ]
OTOH if you just want to have the PR merged I can do that -- it seems
unobjectionable.

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 8:41 AM Steve Dower <steve.dower@python.org> wrote:

> On 12/28/2020 11:32 AM, Erlend Aasland wrote:
> >> On 27 Dec 2020, at 22:38, Christian Heimes <christian@python.org
> >> <mailto:christian@python.org>> wrote:
> >> How about you put your name in the expert index instead of him? :)
> >
> > Thanks for your confidence, but I'm far from an expert :)
>
> Neither is anyone else :)
>
> I'm not looking to start any mentoring right now, but if someone else is
> and you're interested, it should be easy to get you connected. I am more
> than happy to endorse you as a good candidate for becoming our SQLite
> expert.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/AM7AVQH6L4AQVTB5UFOBYXICDPXYZBKQ/

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*
<http://feministing.com/2015/02/03/how-using-they-as-a-singular-pronoun-can-change-the-world/>
Re: Where is the SQLite module maintainer [ In reply to ]
> On 4 Jan 2021, at 17:34, Steve Dower <steve.dower@python.org> wrote:
> On 12/28/2020 11:32 AM, Erlend Aasland wrote:
>>> On 27 Dec 2020, at 22:38, Christian Heimes <christian@python.org <mailto:christian@python.org>> wrote:
>>> How about you put your name in the expert index instead of him? :)
>> Thanks for your confidence, but I'm far from an expert :)
> Neither is anyone else :)
>
> I'm not looking to start any mentoring right now, but if someone else is and you're interested, it should be easy to get you connected. I am more than happy to endorse you as a good candidate for becoming our SQLite expert.

Thanks, I really appreciate that. I'm willing to invest the time needed if someone's interested in mentoring me.

Erlend
Re: Where is the SQLite module maintainer [ In reply to ]
> On 4 Jan 2021, at 18:24, Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> wrote:
>
> OTOH if you just want to have the PR merged I can do that -- it seems unobjectionable.

I'm eager to get it merged, so I'll appreciate it if you could help with that.

Erlend
Re: Where is the SQLite module maintainer [ In reply to ]
27.12.20 22:20, Erlend Aasland ????:
> Who can help me review code that touches the sqlite3 module code base?
>

> I've received a lot of constructive reviews from Victor Stinner, Dong-he
> Na and Pablo Galindo on my past sqlite3 PR's; thank you so much! I still
> feel uncomfortable requesting their review, as none of them are sqlite3
> module maintainers.

I fixed many bugs in sqlite3 and did reviews, so I have some experience,
although I am not an expert. I payed less attention to it since Berker
Peksag took its maintenance, so my attention was not needed. But seems
he is not very active now (I hope it is temporary). You can request my
review. My reaction may be not instant because last weeks I am very busy
with curses and tkinter.
Re: Where is the SQLite module maintainer [ In reply to ]
> On 5 Jan 2021, at 09:08, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka@gmail.com> wrote:
> 27.12.20 22:20, Erlend Aasland ????:
>> Who can help me review code that touches the sqlite3 module code base?
>
> I fixed many bugs in sqlite3 and did reviews, so I have some experience,
> although I am not an expert. I payed less attention to it since Berker
> Peksag took its maintenance, so my attention was not needed. But seems
> he is not very active now (I hope it is temporary). You can request my
> review. My reaction may be not instant because last weeks I am very busy
> with curses and tkinter.

Thanks, Serhiy, and thank you very much for reviewing most of my recent PR's. I highly appreciate that. It looks like Berker Peksag is back again, so for now, I'll ping him for reviews.

Erlend