Mailing List Archive

PEP 11: Drop support for AIX releases without dlopen
Python has supported using dynload_shlib (using dlopen) on AIX since https://github.com/python/cpython/commit/c19c5a62aef7dce0e8147655b0d2f087965fae75 in 2003. This is also about the time that AIX 4.3 went out of support, which is believed to be the AIX release that added support for dlopen. Considering it is now 20ish years later and in this time, every supported AIX release has had dlopen support, I suspect nobody has used or tested this code path in quite some time. I propose removing this support under PEP 11.

For reference, I opened https://bugs.python.org/issue42030 and changes were merged in https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/22717. I opened a PR to update PEP 11 in https://github.com/python/peps/issues/1653, but was told this needed discussion here. Sorry if this didn't quite follow the process correctly, I thought I had things in the right order, but I guess not. Also apologies if this is a duplicate, but my first message appears to have been lost/eaten (possibly a first-time moderation queue?).
Re: PEP 11: Drop support for AIX releases without dlopen [ In reply to ]
As far as I am aware, we already dropped support for AIX 5.3<=.  See
https://bugs.python.org/issue40680 for details.

Re: PEP 11: Drop support for AIX releases without dlopen [ In reply to ]
Interesting. Given that, shouldn't PEP 11 be updated with that change? Seems to me that PEP 11 only documents platforms with *official support*, so is AIX officially supported? The comment in the issue would indicate it is not officially supported, but it _is_ listed here: https://pythondev.readthedocs.io/platforms.html#python-platforms

Re: PEP 11: Drop support for AIX releases without dlopen [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 2:52 PM Kevin Adler <kadler@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Interesting. Given that, shouldn't PEP 11 be updated with that change?
> Seems to me that PEP 11 only documents platforms with *official support*,
> so is AIX officially supported? The comment in the issue would indicate it
> is not officially supported

AIX is not officially supported. We have tried to be helpful and add/remove
things over the years related to AIX (we used to have an external
contributor who actively tried to keep AIX supported), but we don't
guarantee things work since there is no core dev available to try and keep
AIX running.

> , but it _is_ listed here:
> https://pythondev.readthedocs.io/platforms.html#python-platforms

That is not an official Python website.

-Brett

Re: PEP 11: Drop support for AIX releases without dlopen [ In reply to ]
Brett Cannon wrote:
> > AIX is not officially supported. We have tried to be helpful and add/remove
> things over the years related to AIX (we used to have an external
> contributor who actively tried to keep AIX supported), but we don't
> guarantee things work since there is no core dev available to try and keep
> AIX running.

Ok, so given that AIX is not officially supported, should PEP 11 be updated? The
change I made to drop dynload_aix may not be worth documenting there, but perhaps
dropping support AIX 5.3 and below (as stated in https://bugs.python.org/issue40680)
would be.
Re: PEP 11: Drop support for AIX releases without dlopen [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 2:06 PM Kevin Adler <kadler@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Brett Cannon wrote:
> > > AIX is not officially supported. We have tried to be helpful and
> add/remove
> > things over the years related to AIX (we used to have an external
> > contributor who actively tried to keep AIX supported), but we don't
> > guarantee things work since there is no core dev available to try and
> keep
> > AIX running.
>
> Ok, so given that AIX is not officially supported, should PEP 11 be
> updated?

Updated how? AIX is not mentioned in that PEP anywhere, so I'm not quite
sure what update you're suggesting.

> The
> change I made to drop dynload_aix may not be worth documenting there, but
> perhaps
> dropping support AIX 5.3 and below (as stated in
> https://bugs.python.org/issue40680)
> would be.

Possibly if IBM isn't supporting that version anymore (and based on your
email I would assume you would know ????).
Re: PEP 11: Drop support for AIX releases without dlopen [ In reply to ]
Brett Cannon wrote:
> > Updated how? AIX is not mentioned in that PEP anywhere, so I'm not quite
> sure what update you're suggesting.

I'm referring to https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0011/#unsupporting-platforms.

"If a certain platform that currently has special code in CPython is deemed to be without
enough Python users or lacks proper support from the Python development team and/or
a buildbot, a note must be posted in this PEP that this platform is no longer actively supported."

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0011/#no-longer-supported-platforms

Should this list be updated to mention that AIX 5.3 and below are no longer supported?
Re: PEP 11: Drop support for AIX releases without dlopen [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 4:43 PM Kevin Adler <kadler@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Brett Cannon wrote:
> > > Updated how? AIX is not mentioned in that PEP anywhere, so I'm not
> quite
> > sure what update you're suggesting.
>
> I'm referring to
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0011/#unsupporting-platforms.
>
> "If a certain platform that currently has special code in CPython is
> deemed to be without
> enough Python users or lacks proper support from the Python development
> team and/or
> a buildbot, a note must be posted in this PEP that this platform is no
> longer actively supported."
>
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0011/#no-longer-supported-platforms
>
> Should this list be updated to mention that AIX 5.3 and below are no
> longer supported?

Only if we are going to rip out all AIX-related code.
Re: PEP 11: Drop support for AIX releases without dlopen [ In reply to ]
Brett Cannon wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 4:43 PM Kevin Adler kadler@linux.vnet.ibm.com
> wrote:
> > Should this list be updated to mention that AIX 5.3 and below are no
> > longer supported?
> > Only if we are going to rip out all AIX-related code.

Ok. Looking through the history, I think I found an equivalent change to model after: when support for FreeBSD 9 and older was removed.
https://github.com/python/cpython/commit/13ff24582c99dfb439b1af7295b401415e7eb05b
Re: PEP 11: Drop support for AIX releases without dlopen [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 11:10 AM Kevin Adler <kadler@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Brett Cannon wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 4:43 PM Kevin Adler kadler@linux.vnet.ibm.com
> > wrote:
> > > Should this list be updated to mention that AIX 5.3 and below are no
> > > longer supported?
> > > Only if we are going to rip out all AIX-related code.
>
> Ok. Looking through the history, I think I found an equivalent change to
> model after: when support for FreeBSD 9 and older was removed.
>
> https://github.com/python/cpython/commit/13ff24582c99dfb439b1af7295b401415e7eb05b

Yes, but that's because we have historically considered FreeBSD supported
(there's a buildbot and core devs have been willing to keep it working).

Re: PEP 11: Drop support for AIX releases without dlopen [ In reply to ]
Le ven. 16 oct. 2020 à 22:35, Kevin Adler <kadler@linux.vnet.ibm.com> a écrit :
> Python has supported using dynload_shlib (using dlopen) on AIX since https://github.com/python/cpython/commit/c19c5a62aef7dce0e8147655b0d2f087965fae75 in 2003. This is also about the time that AIX 4.3 went out of support, which is believed to be the AIX release that added support for dlopen. Considering it is now 20ish years later and in this time, every supported AIX release has had dlopen support, I suspect nobody has used or tested this code path in quite some time.

Kevin's PR was merged: Python/dynload_aix.c was removed by
https://github.com/python/cpython/commit/1dd6d956a3ddf2cf6d4a69241dba8cd1379421b9

As Brett said, there is no need to update the PEP 11.

Le ven. 16 oct. 2020 à 23:50, Kevin Adler <kadler@linux.vnet.ibm.com> a écrit :
> The comment in the issue would indicate it is not officially supported, but it _is_ listed here: https://pythondev.readthedocs.io/platforms.html#python-platforms

I'm the author of this website. I updated
https://pythondev.readthedocs.io/platforms.html to move the
sys.platform and os.name table at the end to avoid confusion. I also
replaced "AIX" with "AIX 6".

I wrote this page to help me track which platforms are supported or
not, since there is no clear summary of what is supported or not. Only
scattered information, sometimes referencing to OS lifecycle that I
fail to track.

AIX is listed in "Supported platform with best effort support". In
short, if someone provides a patch, maybe someone will review and
merge it. But there is no willingness to actively support AIX for now,
at least from core developers. There are two AIX buildbots which are
frequently broken. I'm reporting issues but no one fixes them.

Victor