Subject: [pypi-announce] upgrade to pip 20.2 -- plus changes coming in 20.3
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 11:24:58 -0400
From: Sumana Harihareswara <sh@changeset.nyc>
To: pypi-announce@python.org

On behalf of the Python Packaging Authority, I am pleased to announce
the release of pip 20.2. Please upgrade for speed improvements, bug
fixes, and better logging. You can install it by running python -m pip
install --upgrade pip.

We make major releases each quarter, so this is the first new release
since 20.1 in April.

NOTICE: This release includes the beta of the next-generation dependency
resolver. It is significantly stricter and more consistent when it
receives incompatible instructions, and reduces support for certain
kinds of constraints files, so some workarounds and workflows may break.
Please test it with the `--use-feature=2020-resolver` flag. Please see
our guide on how to test and migrate, and how to report issues
<https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/user_guide/#changes-to-the-pip-dependency-resolver-in-20-2-2020>.

The new dependency resolver is *off by default* because it is *not yet
ready for everyday use*.

For release highlights and thank-yous, please see
<https://blog.python.org/2020/07/upgrade-pip-20-2-changes-20-3.html> .
The full changelog is at <https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/news/>.

Future:

We plan to make pip's next quarterly release, 20.3, in October 2020. We
are preparing to change the default dependency resolution behavior and
make the new resolver the default in pip 20.3.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
project manager for pip, on contract with Python Software Foundation
Re: Fwd: [pypi-announce] upgrade to pip 20.2 -- plus changes coming in 20.3 [ In reply to ]
Do you think we should be updating the version of pip bundled with
Python 3.9 at this stage (for the first RC)?

Similarly, is there a need to update Python 3.8 for its next release?

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Fwd: [pypi-announce] upgrade to pip 20.2 -- plus changes coming in 20.3 [ In reply to ]
Good question. I've asked it in https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/6536
because I want to check with other pip maintainers.

On a separate note: the error messaging improvements in 20.2 available
with the new beta resolver (such as pointing to this conflict resolution
guide
https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/user_guide/#fixing-conflicting-dependencies )
are going to be very helpful to you as you and your users while
debugging ResolutionImpossible errors. Enjoy! Insamuch as such a
situation is enjoyable.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Changeset Consulting
Re: Fwd: [pypi-announce] upgrade to pip 20.2 -- plus changes coming in 20.3 [ In reply to ]
Steve Dower asked:

> Do you think we should be updating the version of pip bundled with
> Python 3.9 at this stage (for the first RC)?
>
> Similarly, is there a need to update Python 3.8 for its next release?

Answered now in
https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/6536#issuecomment-666715283 -- yes,
please do do. However, you may want to wait till Tuesday or so for our
bugfix release
https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/8511#issuecomment-666660644 .

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Changeset Consulting
Re: Fwd: [pypi-announce] upgrade to pip 20.2 -- plus changes coming in 20.3 [ In reply to ]
Thanks. It looks like we can do it later this week and make the next
round of releases. Please let us know asap if anything comes up that you
wouldn't want to be released.

Cheers,
Steve