functionality is broken on a popular OS.  So I'm waiting for help from
the ssl module maintainer(s) who are very kindly looking into it.

My plan is to release 3.5.10rc1 once it passes the test suite on Ubuntu
20.04... whenever that is.  3.5.10 final will be automatically
rescheduled for two weeks from that date.

Hold tight,

//arry/

p.s. Happy American Independence Day!
Re: In case you're wondering about 3.5.10rc1 [ In reply to ]
On 04.07.2020 10:01, Larry Hastings wrote:

> It's held up on SSL.  Ubuntu 20.04 changed some security parameter tunings, which breaks some uses of the SSL module, and approximately
> eight modules in the test suite.  I assume this wasn't caught on the buildbots because they don't use Ubuntu--or at least not a build that
> fresh.  SSL and the test suite are all completely happy on older Ubuntu releases.
>
> One could argue "it's fine, most people still using 3.5 are also using old OSes anyway".  But I don't want to release 3.5.10 if important
> functionality is broken on a popular OS.

Since it's in "security fixes only" mode, you can just claim that anything beyond that, compatibility with anything included, is not guaranteed.

You had no problems using that defense before in
https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/thread/YUT66GNSDPWPUWDUHQ7KVTD2DNP3DQPU/#KB3MJSP4DH43R6MLNTT2W2BLHGLRAQBF

Re: In case you're wondering about 3.5.10rc1 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 00:01:56 -0700
Larry Hastings <larry@hastings.org> wrote:
> It's held up on SSL.  Ubuntu 20.04 changed some security parameter
> tunings, which breaks some uses of the SSL module, and approximately
> eight modules in the test suite.  I assume this wasn't caught on the
> buildbots because they don't use Ubuntu--or at least not a build that
> fresh.  SSL and the test suite are all completely happy on older Ubuntu
> releases.
>
> One could argue "it's fine, most people still using 3.5 are also using
> old OSes anyway".  But I don't want to release 3.5.10 if important
> functionality is broken on a popular OS.

How does 3.5.9 work on the same system? If it gives out the same
errors, then I'm sure there's much of a bother. Though of course, if
some maintainer wants to fix/workaround the issues, then even
better ;-)

Regards

Antoine.

Re: In case you're wondering about 3.5.10rc1 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 13:16:50 +0200
Antoine Pitrou <solipsis@pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 00:01:56 -0700
> Larry Hastings <larry@hastings.org> wrote:
> > It's held up on SSL.  Ubuntu 20.04 changed some security parameter
> > tunings, which breaks some uses of the SSL module, and approximately
> > eight modules in the test suite.  I assume this wasn't caught on the
> > buildbots because they don't use Ubuntu--or at least not a build that
> > fresh.  SSL and the test suite are all completely happy on older Ubuntu
> > releases.
> >
> > One could argue "it's fine, most people still using 3.5 are also using
> > old OSes anyway".  But I don't want to release 3.5.10 if important
> > functionality is broken on a popular OS.
>
> How does 3.5.9 work on the same system? If it gives out the same
> errors, then I'm sure there's much of a bother.

... then I'm /not/ sure, sorry.

Regards

Antoine.

Re: In case you're wondering about 3.5.10rc1 [ In reply to ]
Python 3.5.9 has the same problems on Ubuntu 20.04 as 3.5.10.

//arry/

Re: In case you're wondering about 3.5.10rc1 [ In reply to ]
On 04. 07. 20 9:01, Larry Hastings wrote:

> It's held up on SSL.  Ubuntu 20.04 changed some security parameter tunings,
> which breaks some uses of the SSL module, and approximately eight modules in the
> test suite.  I assume this wasn't caught on the buildbots because they don't use
> Ubuntu--or at least not a build that fresh.  SSL and the test suite are all
> completely happy on older Ubuntu releases.
>
> One could argue "it's fine, most people still using 3.5 are also using old OSes
> anyway".  But I don't want to release 3.5.10 if important functionality is
> broken on a popular OS.  So I'm waiting for help from the ssl module
> maintainer(s) who are very kindly looking into it.
>
> My plan is to release 3.5.10rc1 once it passes the test suite on Ubuntu 20.04...
> whenever that is.  3.5.10 final will be automatically rescheduled for two weeks
> from that date.

Hey Larry.

Does any of the following patches help?

Fix test_alpn_protocols from test_ssl as openssl > 1.1.0f
changed the behaviour of the ALPN hook.
Fixed upstream: http://bugs.python.org/issue30714

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python3.5/blob/master/f/00270-fix-ssl-alpn-hook-test.patch

Not every target system may provide a crypt() function in its stdlibc
and may use an external or replacement library, like libxcrypt, for
providing such functions.
Fixed upstream: https://bugs.python.org/issue32635

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python3.5/blob/master/f/00290-cryptmodule-Include-crypt.h-for-declaration-of-crypt.patch

--