converted to spit out an OO .xs and .pm implementing a parser.

Just a 4 a.m. thought, and a possible entry for the module list...

Larry
Re: yacc [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 14 Sep 1995, Larry Wall wrote:

> It just occurred to me that some version of yacc, like byacc, should be
> converted to spit out an OO .xs and .pm implementing a parser.
>
> Just a 4 a.m. thought, and a possible entry for the module list...

Erm... yes, that might be a rather nice way to build a parser -- the
nasty bits go in the .xs where they are fast and hidden, and the .pm get
the production framework.

Come to think of it, has anyone ever mucked around with the perl-yacc so
that it uses perl5'ish features? I would expect that to make quite a
performance different.

Re: yacc [ In reply to ]
: Come to think of it, has anyone ever mucked around with the perl-yacc so
: that it uses perl5'ish features? I would expect that to make quite a
: performance different.

As far as I know, nobody ever did the things to make it run faster with
Perl 4 even. There were some obvious speedups that could have been done.

Larry
Re: yacc [ In reply to ]
In <9509141105.AA09149@netlabs.com>
On Thu, 14 Sep 95 4:04:22 PDT
Larry Wall <lwall@netlabs.com> writes:
>It just occurred to me that some version of yacc, like byacc, should be
>converted to spit out an OO .xs and .pm implementing a parser.
>
>Just a 4 a.m. thought, and a possible entry for the module list...

I have a wish-list of my own to do just that using Andrew version of
bison (The GPL free version) - it can already generate C++ OO parsers,
and I already made use of it for day-job stuff.
Re: yacc [ In reply to ]
> From: Larry Wall <lwall@netlabs.com>
>
> It just occurred to me that some version of yacc, like byacc, should be
> converted to spit out an OO .xs and .pm implementing a parser.
>
> Just a 4 a.m. thought, and a possible entry for the module list...

Done. Added to the 'Big Projects Registry':

7) Extend Yacc To Write XS Code

Some version of yacc, like byacc or bison, should be converted to spit
out an OO .xs and .pm implementing a parser.

Contacts: NI-S P5P LWALL

Tim.