Mailing List Archive

perl man pages
I am very new to Perl and have just finished loading it on my SGI Indy.

Here is my problem:

I am following the included README document included with the perl5 kit and am
at 7) Read the manual entries before running perl.

I can not find the man pages.
I am trying /usr/local/bin/perldoc, but get
pod2man: Not found
nroff: Not found

I followed every default setting in the Configure script, but the location of
man pages was bypassed because of these prompts:
case "$nroff" in
nroff)
echo "However, you don't have nroff, so they're probably useless to
you."
case "$man1dir" in
'') man1dir="none";;
esac;;
esac

So, no manuals were installed I gather; BUT I remember a prompt suggesting a
script to run after Configure that WOULD install the man pages (am I crazy?),
but I can't find any mention of it the Configure script now.

Please help me as this is a miserable introduction for me to not even find man
pages to perl.

Christian Kolking System Support Engineer
e-mail: kolking@ottawa.sgi.com Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
tel: 613-225-4747 fax: 613-225-4749
[Acked]
Re: perl man pages [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Sep 1995, Christian Kolking wrote:

> I am very new to Perl and have just finished loading it on my SGI Indy.
>
> Here is my problem:
>
> I am following the included README document included with the perl5 kit and am
> at 7) Read the manual entries before running perl.
>
> I can not find the man pages.
> I am trying /usr/local/bin/perldoc, but get
> pod2man: Not found
> nroff: Not found

perldoc needs pod2man and nroff. Neither is found since your system
apparently doesn't have nroff. Fix that and you'll be able to use the
documentation.