Weihan Chang dpwc@dataprompt.com
WWW home page http://www.dataprompt.com/han/
Voice#(301)622-0900 ext305 FAX#(301)622-5608
Re: Perl5 on UTS4.3 [ In reply to ]
Excerpts from the mail message of Weihan Chang:
) We are migrating to Amdahl UTS4.3 from UTS2.1.5.
) Perl is one of the thing we have to make to work under UTS4.3.
) Perl4.036 compiled just fine but when I ran 'make test' I found 6 errors.
) Perl5.001m couldn't even compile because perl has a 'struct sv' which is
) also defined in UTS's include file 'sys/ksynch.h'. I was able to make
) perl5 compile by renaming 'struct sv' to 'struct usv'. In this way I was
) able to create 'miniperl', but get a 'segmentation fault' every time I run
) it.

Are you using perl5.001m (note the "m")? You can get it from

ftp://ftp.metronet.com/pub/perl/source/perl5.001m.tar.gz

and several other places.

If so, are you using the C compiler's optimizer (usually "-O")?
If so, try turning it off and see if that helps.

As far as "sv" is concerned... "sv" is a pretty basic concept in
Perl so changing it is probably a big deal. However, having to
change system includes in order to compile Perl is not desirable.

Porters, these types of problems are not _that_ common and perhaps
ANSI C is supposed to save of us from having to do something like
this, but when you run into these problems they can be painful to
fix. Perhaps we could add a "redefine.h" that is always included
*after* any system include files (and no system include files are
included after it). Then "#define sv perl_sv" could go in
"redefine.h" to overcome these types of problems simply.

But this would also require splitting anything in a #include into
"before system include" and "after system include" parts (which is
not currently the case).

Just a thought.
--
Tye McQueen tye@metronet.com || tye@doober.usu.edu
Nothing is obvious unless you are overlooking something