Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
From: colaes@zeus.nhlbi.nih.gov (Christopher E. Olaes)
Subject: Set-ID scripts?
Sender: postman@alw.nih.gov (AMDS Postmaster)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 15:39:31 GMT

Hi Everyone,

I have just written a perl script that I would like to set setuid on, however
perl gives me the warning.

YOU HAVEN'T DISABLED SET-ID SCRIPTS IN THE KERNEL YET!
FIX YOUR KERNEL, PUT A C WRAPPER AROUND THIS SCRIPT, OR USE -u AND UNDUMP!

Now, I have already read the FAQ
5.13) Why do setuid Perl scripts complain about kernel problems?

However, I am at a loss...
I understand that I have to put a C wrapper around this script.. However,
how do I do that... I have never dealt with wrappers before, so if someone
could step me through it generically... I would be very appreciative

Thanks,
Chris

- Christoper E. Olaes National Institute of Health -
- Network Engineer Lab of Cardiac Energetics -
- -
- Telephone: 301-496-0941 Building 10, Room B1D-161A -
- FAX: 301-402-2389 Bethesda, MD 20817 -
- Email: colaes@zeus.nhlbi.nih.gov -
------- end of forwarded message -------

--
Tom Christiansen Perl Consultant, Gamer, Hiker tchrist@mox.perl.com

/* This is the one truly awful dwimmer necessary to conflate C and sed. */
--Larry Wall, from toke.c in the v5.0 perl distribution
Re: Set-ID scripts? (fwd) [ In reply to ]
: lwall &c: do you think that wrapsuid should be installed?

I suspect so.

Larry