Mailing List Archive

Re: Is quotewords really this slow???
On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Dale Amon wrote:

> With a input data file of records read into an array of lines, I use
> quotewords to break up the record into it's component fields, some
> of which are quoted strings. The records are not long - 8 fields only.
>
> I'm finding that it takes between .3 and .4 second *PER RECORD*!!!! This
> seems so slow that I'm wondering if there is something wrong...
> [...]
> Suggestions???

Could we have some samples of the data records?

Re: Is quotewords really this slow??? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:

> Could we have some samples of the data records?
>
> --
> Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds@kjahds.com, CIS: 70705,126)

I can't post *real* ones since it is very confidential data, but here are
a couple sanitized example lines:

500 194.46.2.1 name1.TheGAP.COM name1-du passwd1 encryptpass1 Belfast
SLIP "Christian Surname1"
501 194.46.2.2 name2.TheGAP.COM name2-du passwd2 encryptpass2 Belfast
SLIP "Christian Surname2"
502 194.46.2.3 name3.TheGAP.COM name3-du passwd3 encryptpass3 Belfast
SLIP "Christian Surname3"
503 194.46.2.4 name4.TheGAP.COM name4-du passwd4 encryptpass4 Belfast
SLIP "Christian Surname4"

Note that I am in the process of merging this file with some others, so
there will in the long run be a number of other fields as well, some of
which will also be strings.

The encrypted passwords are standard unix encyrpted passwords, with the
char set:

./
0-9
A-Z