I got the error:
pp_sys.c line 2341:undefined symbol :sys_nerr.

I user /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc and remove /usr/ucb from my path.
I include -lsocket -lnsl -lm libraries.

Did I miss something?

Thank you for your help.
Warmest Regards.

Sandy Teng
Re: compile perl version 5 on Solaris-2 [ In reply to ]
> From: sandy.teng@smc.com
>
> Hi:
> I can't get perl version 5 to compile on Solaris-2.
> I got the error:
> pp_sys.c line 2341:undefined symbol :sys_nerr.
>
> I user /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc and remove /usr/ucb from my path.
> I include -lsocket -lnsl -lm libraries.

Read through the notes I've collected. If the problem isn't covered here,
then I'd like to hear about any new information you come up with.

Dean

------
Generic notes about building Perl5 on Solaris:
- Use /usr/ccs/bin/make.
- If you use GNU make, remove the setgid bit.
- Remove all instances of *ucb* from your path.
- Make sure libucb is not in /usr/lib (it should be in /usr/ucblib).
- Do not use GNU as or GNU ld, or any of GNU binutils or GNU libc.
- Do not use /usr/ucb/cc.
- Do not change Configure's default answers, except for the path names.
- Do not use -lmalloc.
- Do not build on SunOS 4 and expect it to work properly on SunOS 5.
- /dev/fd must be mounted if you want set-uid scripts to work.

Here are the gcc-related questions and answers from the Solaris 2 FAQ. Note
the themes:
- run fixincludes
- run fixincludes correctly
- don't use GNU as or GNU ld

Question 5.7 covers the __builtin_va_alist problem people are always seeing.
Question 6.1.3 covers the GNU as and GNU ld issues which are always biting
people.
Question 6.9 is for those who are still trying to compile Perl4.

The latest Solaris 2 FAQ can be found in the following locations:
rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet-by-group/comp.sys.sun.admin
ftp.fwi.uva.nl:/pub/solaris

Perl5 comes with a script in the top-level directory called "myconfig" which
will print a summary of the configuration in your config.sh. My summary
for Solaris 2.4 and gcc 2.6.3 follows. This configuration was generated with
Configure's -d option (take all defaults, don't bother prompting me). All
tests pass for Perl5.001, patch.1m.

Summary of my perl5 (patchlevel 1) configuration:
Platform:
osname=solaris, osver=2.4, archname=sun4-solaris
uname='sunos poplar 5.4 generic_101945-27 sun4d sparc '
hint=recommended
Compiler:
cc='gcc', optimize='-O', ld='gcc'
cppflags=''
ccflags =''
ldflags =''
stdchar='unsigned char', d_stdstdio=define, usevfork=false
voidflags=15, castflags=0, d_casti32=define, d_castneg=define
intsize=4, alignbytes=8, usemymalloc=y, randbits=15
Libraries:
so=so
libpth=/lib /usr/lib /usr/ccs/lib /usr/local/lib
libs=-lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt
libc=/usr/lib/libc.so
Dynamic Linking:
dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef
cccdlflags='-fpic', ccdlflags=' ', lddlflags='-G'

Dean
roehrich@cray.com
8/14/95