only affects one platform and it does fix a build failure in a new
platform/architecture combination. But it seems rude to merge during
freeze without asking, so I'm asking.
Re: process for merge during freeze? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 2:51?PM Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Once upon a time the process was "ask the pumpking." But we have a
> different governance model now and I'm not sure whom to ask. The
> things I see getting merged look like a reasonable union of safe and
> important, but I don't know how the decision to merge is getting made.
> I do have this PR:
>
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/21046
>
> that I would like to see get in before 5.38. It's safe in that it
> only affects one platform and it does fix a build failure in a new
> platform/architecture combination. But it seems rude to merge during
> freeze without asking, so I'm asking.

I would argue that anything that is appropriate for backporting is
appropriate to merge at this stage.

Leon
Re: process for merge during freeze? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 16 May 2023 16:10:18 +0200, Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 2:51?PM Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Once upon a time the process was "ask the pumpking." But we have a
> > different governance model now and I'm not sure whom to ask. The
> > things I see getting merged look like a reasonable union of safe and
> > important, but I don't know how the decision to merge is getting made.
> > I do have this PR:
> >
> > https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/21046
> >
> > that I would like to see get in before 5.38. It's safe in that it
> > only affects one platform and it does fix a build failure in a new
> > platform/architecture combination. But it seems rude to merge during
> > freeze without asking, so I'm asking.
>
> I would argue that anything that is appropriate for backporting is
> appropriate to merge at this stage.

I agree

--
H.Merijn Brand https://tux.nl Perl Monger http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.37 porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux
Re: process for merge during freeze? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 9:40?AM <perl5@tux.freedom.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2023 16:10:18 +0200, Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 2:51?PM Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Once upon a time the process was "ask the pumpking." But we have a
> > > different governance model now and I'm not sure whom to ask. The
> > > things I see getting merged look like a reasonable union of safe and
> > > important, but I don't know how the decision to merge is getting made.
> > > I do have this PR:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/21046
> > >
> > > that I would like to see get in before 5.38. It's safe in that it
> > > only affects one platform and it does fix a build failure in a new
> > > platform/architecture combination. But it seems rude to merge during
> > > freeze without asking, so I'm asking.
> >
> > I would argue that anything that is appropriate for backporting is
> > appropriate to merge at this stage.
>
> I agree

Thanks for the replies, and thanks to all four people who showed up on
GitHub to approve the PR! I've merged it.