Mailing List Archive

Perl 5.36.1 is now available!
Pianists can be divided into the following three categories: those who
practice a lot and admit it; those who practice a lot but deny it; and
those who do not practice and, therefore, are no pianists.

-- Louis Kentner, "Piano"

We are overwhelmed to announce version 36.1, the first maintenance
release of version 36 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.36.1 from your favourite CPAN
mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/SHAY/perl-5.36.1/

SHA256 digests for this release are:

*perl-5.36.1.tar.gz
68203665d8ece02988fc77dc92fccbb297a83a4bb4b8d07558442f978da54cc1

*perl-5.36.1.tar.xz
bd91217ea8a8c8b81f21ebbb6cefdf0d13ae532013f944cdece2cd51aef4b6a7

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located
in the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web.

Perl 5.36.1 represents approximately 11 months of development since Perl
5.36.0 and contains approximately 5,500 lines of changes across 62 files
from 24 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there
were approximately 1,600 lines of changes to 23 .pm, .t, .c and .h files.

Perl continues to flourish into its fourth decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to
have contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.36.1:

Andreas König, Bram, Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, Craig A. Berry, Dagfinn
Ilmari Mannsåker, David Mitchell, Elvin Aslanov, Florian Weimer, Graham
Knop, Hugo van der Sanden, Karen Etheridge, Karl Williamson, Leon
Timmermans, Matthew Horsfall, Max Maischein, Neil Bowers, Nicolas R,
Renee Baecker, Ricardo Signes, Richard Leach, Steve Hay, Todd Rinaldo,
Tony Cook, Yves Orton.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not
include the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who
reported issues to the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN
modules included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN
community for helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors,
please see the AUTHORS file in the Perl source distribution.

The next major stable release of Perl should appear in the first half of
2023.

Steve Hay
Re: Perl 5.36.1 is now available! [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 23, 2023, at 11:25, Steve Hay via perl5-porters wrote:
> You will soon be able to download Perl 5.36.1 from your favourite CPAN
> mirror or find it at:

For me, it'll wait until Monday… but thanks for doing it yet again!

--
rjbs
Re: Perl 5.36.1 is now available! [ In reply to ]
Steve Hay via perl5-porters writes:
> We are overwhelmed to announce version 36.1, the first maintenance
> release of version 36 of Perl 5.

It seems that JSON::PP was not updated even though it had a BBC against
5.36 logged (and fixed in v4.12). So I'm going to emit a perl-JSON-PP
package for Cygwin again that I had just obsoleted. If there ever is
going to be a 5.36.2, please put this on the list to be fixed there.

Regards,
Achim.

Re: Perl 5.36.1 is now available! [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 5 May 2023 at 19:43, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> Steve Hay via perl5-porters writes:
> > We are overwhelmed to announce version 36.1, the first maintenance
> > release of version 36 of Perl 5.
>
> It seems that JSON::PP was not updated even though it had a BBC against
> 5.36 logged (and fixed in v4.12). So I'm going to emit a perl-JSON-PP
> package for Cygwin again that I had just obsoleted. If there ever is
> going to be a 5.36.2, please put this on the list to be fixed there.

Perlpolicy says, "New versions of dual-life modules should NOT be
imported into maint. Those belong in the next stable series," although
some minor changes are permitted: "Updates to dual-life modules should
consist of minimal patches to fix crashing bugs or security issues."

So a minimal patch for the fix in question would be allowed if it
fixes crashing bugs or security issues, but it doesn't sound like it
does: The Changes file entry just says that the only change in v4.12
was to silence a warning.

Also, I was not aware of this BBC report, so I did not even consider
whether this case might be worth making an exception for. My apologies
for that. Is there somewhere I should have been looking to see BBCs
against 5.36 when I was preparing 5.36.1?

If you were aware of it in advance then it would have been helpful if
you had sent a backport request by some means, e.g. emailing p5p
(perhaps in reply to the thread talking about making the 5.36.1
release [1]) or logging a GitHub issue (e.g. see [2]). Failing that,
requests for additional backports are always welcome during the RC
phase (like the GitHub issue just cited).

Patches that weren't on anyone's radar in time can of course always be
considered for the next maint release. I don't think I would object to
making an exception to the policy for the change in question since it
is such a minor change.

[1] https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2023/02/msg265649.html
[2] https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/21016
Re: Perl 5.36.1 is now available! [ In reply to ]
[.repost since I got a reject message for the original one]

Steve Hay via perl5-porters writes:
> Also, I was not aware of this BBC report, so I did not even consider
> whether this case might be worth making an exception for. My apologies
> for that. Is there somewhere I should have been looking to see BBCs
> against 5.36 when I was preparing 5.36.1?

I don't really know. IIRC, on RT, assuming it was correctly triaged,
you'd have seen that something was broken in 5.36.0 that had a fix in
the upstream CPAN distribution already; no such joy on GH.

> If you were aware of it in advance then it would have been helpful if
> you had sent a backport request by some means, e.g. emailing p5p
> (perhaps in reply to the thread talking about making the 5.36.1
> release [1]) or logging a GitHub issue (e.g. see [2]). Failing that,
> requests for additional backports are always welcome during the RC
> phase (like the GitHub issue just cited).

No I wasn't aware of it either, as evidenced by the fact that I had to
retroactively re-instate the external version of JSON-PP once it became
clear why I was suddenly getting spurious warnings in some places when
using MetaCPAN::Client.

> Patches that weren't on anyone's radar in time can of course always be
> considered for the next maint release. I don't think I would object to
> making an exception to the policy for the change in question since it
> is such a minor change.

This one has already made its way into 5.37 by way of updating from CPAN.

Regards,
Achim.