Mailing List Archive

Perl 5.37.8 is available!
Honesty doesn't require saying everything you think. Honesty only requires
that you don't say anything that you don't think.

  -- Helmut Schmidt

We are happy to announce version 5.37.8, the ninth development release of
version 37 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.37.8 from your
favorite CPAN mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/RENEEB/perl-5.37.8/

SHA256 digests for this release are:

4ff4167b6d2eb206eeaf0a8f3cbfa2ae1da65a790af501f28e39c10db9777a21
perl-5.37.8.tar.gz
eca6396a4b1aa7a38ef467ce54ed897cc84ba948fad0f90aeb210e57b04daf3c
perl-5.37.8.tar.xz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located in
the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web at

https://metacpan.org/pod/release/RENEEB/perl-5.37.8/pod/perldelta.pod

Perl 5.37.8 represents approximately 4 weeks of development since Perl
5.37.7 and contains approximately 42,000 lines of changes across 350 files
from 25 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there were
approximately 29,000 lines of changes to 220 .pm, .t, .c and .h files.

Perl continues to flourish into its fourth decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to have
contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.37.8:

Andrew Ruthven, Andy Lester, Benjamin Smith, Bram, Chris 'BinGOs' Williams,
Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker, David Cantrell, David Mitchell, Elvin Aslanov,
Ferenc Erki, Florian Weimer, James E Keenan, Karen Etheridge, Karl
Williamson, Li Linjie, Max Maischein, Nicolas R, Paul Evans, Peter John
Acklam, Peter Levine, Renee Baecker, Richard Leach, Tomasz Konojacki, Tony
Cook, Yves Orton.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not include
the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who reported issues to
the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN modules
included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN community for
helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors, please
see the AUTHORS file in the Perl source distribution.

We expect to release version 5.37.9 on February 20th, 2023.
The next major stable release of Perl should appear in the first half of
2023.

Greetings,

Renée
Re: Perl 5.37.8 is available! [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 20, 2023, at 11:11, Renée Bäcker wrote:

> Honesty doesn't require saying everything you think. Honesty only requires
> that you don't say anything that you don't think.
>
> -- Helmut Schmidt

[ chef's kiss ]

> We are happy to announce version 5.37.8, the ninth development release of
> version 37 of Perl 5.

Renée, I'm late to send my thanks for this release! I saw this release happen in real time during last week's PSC call, but forgot to email. I did install it immediately though, and am mostly using it — although I must admit I'm mostly a fair bit behind on my daily perl version because of Devel::Cover.

But! Thank you for your efforts here, they are appreciated!

--
rjbs
Re: Perl 5.37.8 is available! [ In reply to ]
Hey Ricardo,

Reading the release announcements, I am always wondering how do you install
development releases:

Do you do something like:

perlbrew install perl-5.37.8
perlbrew clone-modules 5.37.7 5.37.8

If not, please describe a bit, it's very interesting to learn from your
experience.

Thanks

Re: Perl 5.37.8 is available! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 at 09:44, Elvin Aslanov <rwp.primary@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Ricardo,
>
> Reading the release announcements, I am always wondering how do you install development releases:
>
> Do you do something like:
>
> perlbrew install perl-5.37.8
> perlbrew clone-modules 5.37.7 5.37.8
>
> If not, please describe a bit, it's very interesting to learn from your experience.

I am not ricardo, but what I do is:

cd ~/git_tree/perl
git pull
perlbrew uninstall latest_blead
perlbrew install --notest --noman --as latest_blead --debug --thread
--multi -Doptimize=-g -Dusedevel -j 16 ./

Or variants thereof. For a tagged release you can do:

cd ~/git_tree/perl
git reset --hard v5.37.8 # warning potentially destructive!
perlbrew install --notest --noman --as perl-5.37.8 --debug --thread
--multi -Doptimize=-g -Dusedevel -j 16 ./

Adjust the arguments to perlbrew install to taste.

Recently I did this:

perlbrew install --notest --noman --as blead_NSA -Doptimize=-O2
-Dusedevel -j 16 ./
perlbrew install --notest --noman --as blead_SA -Doptimize=-O2
-Accflags=-DPERL_SAWAMPERSAND -Dusedevel -j 16 ./

To install with and without -DPERL_SAWAMPERSAND support.

If you dont have a local copy of the repo you can also "just" do:

perlbrew install perl-5.37.8

cheers,
Yves
Re: Perl 5.37.8 is available! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 10:14 AM demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:

> cd ~/git_tree/perl
> git pull
> perlbrew uninstall latest_blead
> perlbrew install --notest --noman --as latest_blead --debug --thread
> --multi -Doptimize=-g -Dusedevel -j 16 ./

Yves, thanks for this! I think this would be part of a lovely "hack on core
Perl" quickstart guide. My attempts, to date, have been painful.

--
Curtis "Ovid" Poe
Re: Perl 5.37.8 is available! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 25 Jan 2023, 21:42 Ovid, <curtis.poe@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 10:14 AM demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> cd ~/git_tree/perl
>> git pull
>> perlbrew uninstall latest_blead
>> perlbrew install --notest --noman --as latest_blead --debug --thread
>> --multi -Doptimize=-g -Dusedevel -j 16 ./
>

> Yves, thanks for this! I think this would be part of a lovely "hack on
> core Perl" quickstart guide. My attempts, to date, have been painful.

Sure, someone else asked for the same thing just recently which is why I
had that on hand. If I haven't notified you about a PR related to this in
the next few days feel free to nudge me.

Cheers
Yves

Re: Perl 5.37.8 is available! [ In reply to ]
Thanks, Yves. I didn't know you can install Blead Perl with Perlbrew.

I guess you're using a shared modules, as Perlbrew sets separate modules
for each version of Perl it installs.

Re: Perl 5.37.8 is available! [ In reply to ]
This is what I use:
https://github.com/karenetheridge/misc/blob/master/install/generic/bin/newperl

Re: Perl 5.37.8 is available! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 25, 2023, at 03:44, Elvin Aslanov wrote:
> Reading the release announcements, I am always wondering how do you install development releases:

I use plenv <https://github.com/tokuhirom/plenv> and perl-build <https://github.com/tokuhirom/perl-build>, so what I do is:
* plenv install 5.37.8
* plenv shell 5.37.8
* plenv install-cpanm
* cpanm Task::BeLike::Rjbs
* plenv global 5.37.8
…basically!

--
rjbs
Re: Perl 5.37.8 is available! [ In reply to ]
Cool, thanks!

Never knew about https://metacpan.org/pod/Task::BeLike::RIBS bundle

Some thoughts reading this:

plenv on CPAN seems to be unmaintained but GitHub's version I think is
recent enough.

Wonder if setting the development version of Perl globally is having a
negative effect on other OS packages that are run by Perl.

It'd be a danger zone for me, so avoid doing "perlbrew switch".

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us.