contexts.

From message id: 20080118012232.GA24932@wall.org
Perl has broken backward compatibility in the past where I judged
very few people would be affected. This feels like that to me.

If we always put our thumb on the scales on the side of backward
compatibility, we never change anything. There's a fair balance to
be struck here, because most of the escape routes to the future
*might* have been used by someone already for some other purpose.
For instance, someone might already have defined a private "feature"
pragma that is inconsistent with the new one. We shouldn't let that
level of probability slow us down.

Re: Larry Wall on Backwards Compatibility [ In reply to ]
hi all,

On Mon, 23 Jan 2023 06:32:38 +0100
demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been digging into old p5p mails to research some of our bugs and
> Policies, and I found this message from Larry from back in the day. I
> think it is an interesting statement that we should keep in mind when
> we consider the subject of backwards compatibility in various
> contexts.
>
> From message id: 20080118012232.GA24932@wall.org
> Perl has broken backward compatibility in the past where I judged
> very few people would be affected. This feels like that to me.
>
> If we always put our thumb on the scales on the side of backward
> compatibility, we never change anything. There's a fair balance to
> be struck here, because most of the escape routes to the future
> *might* have been used by someone already for some other purpose.
> For instance, someone might already have defined a private "feature"
> pragma that is inconsistent with the new one. We shouldn't let that
> level of probability slow us down.

+1 given https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn!_Turn!_Turn!#Lyrics [ "To every
thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time
to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, a time to reap that which is
planted; " ]. backcompat should be done in moderation. there is also:

https://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/psychology/changing-the-seldon-plan/

--

Shlomi Fish https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/resources/tech-tips/

All Chuck Norris has to do is *look* at Perl code and it interprets itself
out of fear and respect. — DrForr
https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/Chuck-Norris/