CTO, All Around the World
World-class software development and consulting
https://allaroundtheworld.fr/
Re: Historical Curiosity [ In reply to ]

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/splain-splaining-meaning
Re: Historical Curiosity [ In reply to ]
On 6/29/22 13:48, Tomasz Konojacki wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2022 19:43:56 +0200
> Ovid <curtis.poe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I had forgotten about Perl's splain program until Phillipe Bruhat (BooK)
>> reminded me about it.
>>
>> Typing "man splain" is kind of hilarious. I'm not asking for any change,
>> but do we know if that was intentional?
>>
>> Curtis "Ovid" Poe
>
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/splain-splaining-meaning

Nice! So it's not *just* Desi Arnaz.
Re: Historical Curiosity [ In reply to ]
It looks like "mansplain" has only existed since 2008 (acc to wikipedia
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansplaining#:~:text=The%20term%20mansplaining%20was%20inspired,com%20on%2013%20April%202008.>),
and 'splain' seems to be dated to 1995.

Perl is prophetic, huh