Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 12:30:51 EDT
From: "U-E52690-Cecil L. New" <Cecil.L.New@ae.ge.com>
Subject: no subject (file transmission)
To: tchrist@mox.perl.com

PLEASE pardon my intrusion! I am having trouble posting and
I thought I'd use email...

Date: 31 Aug 95 15:06:11 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
Subject: AFS and Perl

When my script uses '#!/afs/.../perl', perl is not invoked.
Instead (apparently) the shell tries to execute the perl script.
Generally failing quickly!

I found that if I link /usr/local/bin/perl to the AFS binary,
and use '#!/usr/local/bin/perl' things work ok.

Any ideas? Thanks.

------- End of Forwarded Message
Re: next release... [ In reply to ]
Re: next release... [ In reply to ]
We needed to install Perl on several of our machines, so I have
packaged Perl up into standard sysVr4 pkgadd format. This makes it
easy to install/deinstall Perl using the standard sysadm interface. I
can supply the prototype files etc if anyone is interested.

Alan Burlison aburlison@cix.compulink.co.uk
Re: next release... [ In reply to ]
> From: Alan Burlison <aburlison@cix.compulink.co.uk>

> We needed to install Perl on several of our machines, so I have
> packaged Perl up into standard sysVr4 pkgadd format. This makes it
> easy to install/deinstall Perl using the standard sysadm interface. I
> can supply the prototype files etc if anyone is interested.

That would be very handy.

Could you supply it/them in a form which can easily be kept in sync
with the rest of the distribution? Perhaps a perl script which uses
the MANIFEST and Config.pm to construct the prototype files etc.

> Alan Burlison aburlison@cix.compulink.co.uk

Tim.
Re: next release... [ In reply to ]

> > From: Alan Burlison <aburlison@cix.compulink.co.uk>
> > We needed to install Perl on several of our machines, so I have
> > packaged Perl up into standard sysVr4 pkgadd format. This makes it
> > easy to install/deinstall Perl using the standard sysadm interface.
> > I can supply the prototype files etc if anyone is interested.
> >
> That would be very handy.
>
> Could you supply it/them in a form which can easily be kept in sync
> with the rest of the distribution? Perhaps a perl script which uses
> the MANIFEST and Config.pm to construct the prototype files etc.
>
> Tim.

At present the files have been hand-built, although it is on my to-do
list to produce a perlapp to automatically generate the required files.
The files required are a copyright message file, a pkginfo file giving
details of the package name etc, a request script which is used to
determine what bits the user wants to install, and the prototype file,
which is a list of source files & destination paths. The obvious
target for automatic generation is the prototype file.

I don't know when I will get round to this, but it won't be for the
next couple of weeks.

Alan Burlison aburlison@cix.compulink.co.uk