IT consulting, training, specializing in Perl, databases, and agile development
http://www.allaroundtheworld.fr/.

Buy my book! - http://bit.ly/beginning_perl
Re: module RFC [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 12:15:39 +0000 (UTC)
Ovid via perl5-porters <perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:

> I have created a proper PR for this:
> https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/pull/11
>
> Please respond there. I know there was plenty of discussion here, so
> feel free to reshare comments there.

As it's related to a comment on the PR but not about the PR itself, I
thought I'd respond to this here:

> Perl doesn't seem to have a grand roadmap for advancing. I would like
> to change that by adopting a more holistic approach to features.
-- https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/pull/11#issuecomment-1022141151

I'm not sure I agree with that, as a statement.

My "Perl in 2025" has become a sortof personal roadmap for the things I
want to work on over the next few years; a collection of ideas that if
we get the lot of those in we'll be in a good state to call a new major
version.

> 1. Design features in groups that are thought out together.
>
> 2 Limit new feature scopes to avoid the issue of simply having use
> v7 in legacy code break things.
>
> 3. Adopt a more uniform KIM syntax (keyword, identifier, modifier.
> E.g., module Some::Module :version(42) {...}.
>
> 4. Address a definition of done for feature groups necessary to say
> "this is Perl 7."

I'm not sure I too strongly adhere to point 3, but the rest of that is
verymuch exactly what I'm doing. :)

A lot of these ideas have already become CPAN modules to experiment
with:

match/case - https://metacpan.org/pod/Syntax::Keyword::Match
equ, === - https://metacpan.org/pod/Syntax::Operator::Equ
any, all - https://metacpan.org/pod/List::Keywords
multi sub - https://metacpan.org/pod/Syntax::Keyword::MultiSub

If you think it would help I can continue to write up more of these
ideas into blog posts, pre-RFCs and actual RFCs. I didn't originally
feel it would be a good idea to throw out lots of ideas far faster than
I can get around to implementing them - already this year I've been
quite busy getting try/catch/finally and defer into core, along with
the various progressions of signatures.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk | https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS