Mailing List Archive

Announcing perl 5.35.7
"There were two classes of charitable people:
 one, the people who did a little and made a great deal of noise;
 the other, the people who did a great deal and made no noise at all."
                                            -- Charles Dickens, Bleak House

We are happy to announce version 35.7,
the 8th development release of version 35 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.35.7 from your
favorite CPAN mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/NEILB/perl-5.35.7/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

 5bc2ef03c585c963448e9a25f9828eef37f5b5f2 perl-5.35.7.tar.gz
 f4c4f7fb4dd9fd4bf4b0599a2f2a06251512d4f5 perl-5.35.7.tar.xz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located in
the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web at

https://metacpan.org/pod/release/NEILB/perl-5.35.7/pod/perldelta.pod

Perl 5.35.7 represents approximately 4 weeks of development since Perl
5.35.6 and contains approximately 21,000 lines of changes across 230 files
from 18 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there were
approximately 19,000 lines of changes to 170 .pm, .t, .c and .h files.

Perl continues to flourish into its fourth decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to have
contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.35.7:

Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker, Felipe Gasper, Graham
Knop, Jakub Wilk, James E Keenan, James Raspass, Karl Williamson, Michiel
Beijen, Mike Fulton, Neil Bowers, Nicholas Clark, Paul Evans, Richard Leach,
Steve Hay, TAKAI Kousuke, Tomasz Konojacki, Tony Cook.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not include
the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who reported issues to
the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN modules
included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN community for
helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors, please
see the AUTHORS file in the Perl source distribution.
We expect to release version 35.8 on 20th January 2022.
The next major stable release of Perl should appear in the first half of 2022.

Cheers,
Neil
Re: Announcing perl 5.35.7 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 1:13 AM Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:

> "There were two classes of charitable people:
> one, the people who did a little and made a great deal of noise;
> the other, the people who did a great deal and made no noise at all."
> -- Charles Dickens, Bleak House
>
> We are happy to announce version 35.7,
> the 8th development release of version 35 of Perl 5.
>
> You will soon be able to download Perl 5.35.7 from your
> favorite CPAN mirror or find it at:
>
> https://metacpan.org/release/NEILB/perl-5.35.7/
>
> SHA1 digests for this release are:
>
> 5bc2ef03c585c963448e9a25f9828eef37f5b5f2 perl-5.35.7.tar.gz
> f4c4f7fb4dd9fd4bf4b0599a2f2a06251512d4f5 perl-5.35.7.tar.xz
>
> You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located in
> the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web at
>
> https://metacpan.org/pod/release/NEILB/perl-5.35.7/pod/perldelta.pod
>
> Perl 5.35.7 represents approximately 4 weeks of development since Perl
> 5.35.6 and contains approximately 21,000 lines of changes across 230 files
> from 18 authors.
>
> Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there were
> approximately 19,000 lines of changes to 170 .pm, .t, .c and .h files.
>
> Perl continues to flourish into its fourth decade thanks to a vibrant
> community of users and developers. The following people are known to have
> contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.35.7:
>
> Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker, Felipe Gasper, Graham
> Knop, Jakub Wilk, James E Keenan, James Raspass, Karl Williamson, Michiel
> Beijen, Mike Fulton, Neil Bowers, Nicholas Clark, Paul Evans, Richard
> Leach,
> Steve Hay, TAKAI Kousuke, Tomasz Konojacki, Tony Cook.
>
> The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
> generated from version control history. In particular, it does not include
> the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who reported issues
> the Perl bug tracker.
>
> Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN modules
> included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN community for
> helping Perl to flourish.
>
> For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors, please
> see the AUTHORS file in the Perl source distribution.
> We expect to release version 35.8 on 20th January 2022.
> The next major stable release of Perl should appear in the first half of
> 2022.

Thank you! And very true words.

Leon
Re: Announcing perl 5.35.7 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 00:13:07 +0000
Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:

> Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN
> modules included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN
> community for helping Perl to flourish.

On particularly notable change is to CPAN.pm itself, which now strongly
nudges you into using https-only for installing modules. This can
present a bootstrapping problem.

To get around that at first, I found it necessary to disable https,
force an index reload, then install IO::Socket::SSL directly:

cpan> o conf pushy_https 0
cpan> reload index
cpan> install IO::Socket::SSL

You can now exit the CPAN shell without saving the config change, and
when you get back things should now be working properly.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk | https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/ | https://www.tindie.com/stores/leonerd/
Re: Announcing perl 5.35.7 [ In reply to ]

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 00:13:07 +0000
> Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:

>> Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN
>> modules included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN
>> community for helping Perl to flourish.

> On particularly notable change is to CPAN.pm itself, which now strongly
> nudges you into using https-only for installing modules. This can
> present a bootstrapping problem.

> To get around that at first, I found it necessary to disable https,
> force an index reload, then install IO::Socket::SSL directly:

> You can now exit the CPAN shell without saving the config change, and
> when you get back things should now be working properly.

You most probably hit a bug in CPAN.pm that was in 2.29 and is fixed in
2.31. Please try ANDK/CPAN-2.31-TRIAL.tar.gz

--
andreas
Re: Announcing perl 5.35.7 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 20, 2021, at 7:13 PM, Neil Bowers wrote:
> We are happy to announce version 35.7,
> the 8th development release of version 35 of Perl 5.

Thanks, Neil! I installed this earlier today, and hope to soon be using it for day-to-day stuff!

--
rjbs