Mailing List Archive

PSC #42 2021-10-15
The RFC process seems to have stalled somewhat, so this was a session for us to review current RFCs  and pre-RFCs. As a result Nick joined us, so present were Paul, Rik, Nick, and Neil.

The lifecycle of ideas is a state machine[1]. We had hoped that discussion on p5p would provide the impetus, and decisions would "fall out". This hasn't always (often) happened, so we've decided that the RFC shepherds (currently PSC + Nick) will keep track and nudge things. We reviewed the current and potential RFCs, and assigned a bunch of actions.

Highlights:

• "Everything slices" (RFC 005) was rejected. Rik will propose a new idea in its place.
• We want a number of pre-RFCs to move to Exploratory (first stage of RFC). PSC members will submit RFCs for a couple, but for most we will be inviting people to submit RFCs. The PSC's job here isn't to be "RFC scribes", but rather to provide nudges to others, to keep things moving.
• A number of Pre-RFCs we classified as "Parked" – there doesn't seem to be enough interest, but we're not ruling them out for the future.
• A number of entries have been rejected.

Rather than go into details here, and invite multiple overlapping threads, each will be followed up on separately.

We decided we'll review with Nick again in 3 weeks.

Neil

[1] https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/blob/master/docs/process.md#the-straight-through-process-is