Mailing List Archive

Eliminating old package'separator Was: PSC #041 — 2021-10-07
Den 11.10.2021 14:44, skrev Nicolas Mendoza:
> Den 09.10.2021 22:50, skrev Ricardo Signes:
>> eliminating the old package'separator, for which we'd like to see a PR
>
> I did actually a patch for this in 2018, so I think at least it is
> possible, it was just too ugly at the time to submit. I could give it
> another go, but one (dual-life?) module part of the perl repo needs a
> change and that's Test::More's "funny" "isn't" function.
> https://metacpan.org/dist/Test-Simple/source/lib/Test/More.pm#L414 or
> perhaps the patch should allow using ' as part of a symbol name?

Briefly looking at the patch now I see that in addition to Test-Simple;
Scalar-List-Utils, PathTools, Term-Cap and autodie also has tests
checking for ' support.
Re: Eliminating old package'separator Was: PSC #041 — 2021-10-07 [ In reply to ]
Hi Nicholas,

We’d like to progress with the dropping of ' as a package separator.

One option was just to drop it in string interpolation, but that would replace one quirk with another. So we’d like to pursue the idea of removing it entirely.

Given your previous work on this idea in Oslo, we’d like to encourage you to submit an RFC for this. Are you up for that?

Cheers,
Neil
Re: Eliminating old package'separator Was: PSC #041 — 2021-10-07 [ In reply to ]
I just wanted to say that this will break a lot of code by Father
Chrysotomos. He was the main proponent of keeping it.

This is not an argument to keep it, just putting this on the record.

Can we get rid of the empty match as well please?

Yves