On 2021/10/06 05:32, James E Keenan wrote: > On 10/6/21 3:01 AM, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
>> openSUSE:Factory - Build fail notification
>> DimStar / Dominique Leuenberger <firstname.lastname@example.org>
>> 10/5/21, 6:01 PM
>> openSUSE Factory - Mailing List <openSUSE-Factory@opensuse.org>
>> Dear Package maintainers and hackers.
>> Below package(s) in openSUSE:Factory have been failing to build for at
>> least 4 weeks. We tried to send out notifications to the
>> configured bugowner/maintainers of the package(s), but so far no
>> fix has been submitted. This probably means that the
>> maintainer/bugowner did not yet find the time to look into the
>> matter and he/she would certainly appreciate help to get this
>> - perl-DBD-MariaDB
> http://matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=DBD-MariaDB suggests that the
> DBD-MariaDB distribution PASSes on Linux on properly configured
> CPANtesters rigs.
"Properly configured" That sounds like it is easy to get a
config that isn't properly configured.
Sorta reminds me of my reporting of Berkeley DB problems several
years back. The problem was it really was broken and broke all of
perl's db's that had the same bug and a weirdly setup machine...ok,
it wasn't THAT weird -- had a RAID50; 3 RAID5 disks that all operated
as a stripe. Doesn't matter what your strip size was (I used 64K
default). your optimal write was either 5*64K or 15*64K for large files.
The Berkeley DB based it's space allocation on a power-of-2 (not factor),
so it could never initialize the base DB, and that test would always fail.
Fortunately BDB ended up not being used much anywmore, but no one at
Berkeley wanted to take responsibility for it (and it likely would hve
been difficult to fix), The person responsible for BDB in perl passed
the buck saying the bug was in upstream. Real helpful. Was more helpful
when other DB options became more used.
As for the other products -- why'd they get sent to perl?...prolly
because they are on the same fail list. I'd ignore them, but if someone who
builds it "properly configured" could send suse a pointer for the DB
problem, it would be alot more likely to go away/get fixed -- not always
like when perl was the only lang builtin to vim and not runtime loaded,
and I gave them an updated build routine. And they still didn't fix it
because it was me (amazing how many things don't get fixed just because
it was me that reported it). Gnu has been bad that way too. But they
claimed it had to be rebuilt everytime because perl was so unstable
even in the minor /patch releases. I protested, saying not so, but it
was too close to ship.- and they claimed it had to be rebuilt every time
because perl was so unstable even in patch releases), which I protested,
but they waited until last moment before ship to not fix it. Sigh.