Mailing List Archive

Currently outstanding PRs relating to RFCs
Folks: I have a few outstanding PRs on perl5 at the moment. I'm quite
keen to keep these moving:

* Stable tracking of "boolean intent" across SVs
https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/19040

This is done and ready; I'm just waiting for a bit more "Yes" from
a few more people, given how large and sweeping a change it
actually is.

* Create defer syntax and OP_PUSHDEFER opcode (RFC 0004)
https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/19019

This hasn't had any review from basically anyone so far.

It seems like both of these are stuck in a "catch-22" situation,
because they are both PRs that implement a design that's in the middle
of the RFC process, but the RFC process is stalled on each of them
awaiting ... well actually I'm not sure what.

The RFC process was supposed to largely exist to fix the
endless-arguing about yes-or-no on feature PRs, but there is no arguing
on these. There's no real discussion at all. I don't think either
should be held up *just* waiting on the RFCs. If RFCs for them didn't
exist, I'm sure they would have been reviewed and merged by now.

How do we unstick these?

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk | https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/ | https://www.tindie.com/stores/leonerd/
Re: Currently outstanding PRs relating to RFCs [ In reply to ]
2021-8-25 3:51 Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:

> Folks: I have a few outstanding PRs on perl5 at the moment. I'm quite
> keen to keep these moving:
>
> * Stable tracking of "boolean intent" across SVs
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/19040
>
> This is done and ready; I'm just waiting for a bit more "Yes" from
> a few more people, given how large and sweeping a change it
> actually is.

I can't understand the internal details.

However, I feel a good bool intention implementation with little effect to
the existent Perl code.

Personally, I want this to move forward to merge because by this
implementation JSON true and false value can be exchanged to Perl true and
false intention SV value.
Re: Currently outstanding PRs relating to RFCs [ In reply to ]
2021-8-25 3:51 Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:

> * Create defer syntax and OP_PUSHDEFER opcode (RFC 0004)
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/19019
>
> This hasn't had any review from basically anyone so far.

Personally, I want this to be merged. By this implementation, try catch
finally syntax is possible.
Re: Currently outstanding PRs relating to RFCs [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 24 Aug 2021 19:51:18 +0100
"Paul \"LeoNerd\" Evans" <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:

> * Create defer syntax and OP_PUSHDEFER opcode (RFC 0004)
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/19019
>
> This hasn't had any review from basically anyone so far.

Thanks to Tony C et.al. for reviews; this one is now in :)

Re: Currently outstanding PRs relating to RFCs [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 24 Aug 2021 19:51:18 +0100
"Paul \"LeoNerd\" Evans" <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:

> * Stable tracking of "boolean intent" across SVs
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/19040
>
> This is done and ready; I'm just waiting for a bit more "Yes" from
> a few more people, given how large and sweeping a change it
> actually is.

This is now in too :)